Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

Posted Jun 05, 2018 04:54 AM

I have 3 wireless networks, 2 of them use Radius, and the 1 guest one that has a passphrase.

After the weekend, suddenly windows laptop users cannot connect to the radius authenticated networks. But Andorid and IOS users are fine.

Users are able to connect to the guest network on any device. 

Product description: Aruba Instant IAP-325 (US) 802.11n/ac Dual 4x4:4 MU-MIMO Radio Integrated Antenna AP
    Product number: JW327A

Is there somehting I can change about the network config or is it Windows specific? 

• 2.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 05:01 AM

If a whole class of devices cannot connect to your network, something was changed or a certificate expired, and you probably need to find out what it is.  To get a clue, you should probably start at the radius server logs to understand where to go next.

• 3.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

Posted Jun 05, 2018 05:46 AM

Thanks, I looked in the Radius logs, and the successful android connection is identical to the unsucessful windows attempts. I tested with incorrect credentials too, just to be sure.

But I do see "authenticate fail because integrity check failure in encrypted message" on the APs Show Log System output.

• 4.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 05:48 AM

The radius log shows successful for Windows devices that do not connect?

• 5.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

Posted Jun 05, 2018 05:54 AM

Correction, it does not work, I get Reason code 16

• 6.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 06:16 AM

What radius server is this?  I don't know what reason code 16 is.  Is the radius server certificate expired?

• 7.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

Posted Jun 05, 2018 06:35 AM

This is a Radius client in the NPS section of a windows server 2012 machine. In the event viewer it says "Reason Code 16, Rason: User credentials mismatch, either the user name does not excist or the password is incorrect"

I know the credentials are ok, becuase I can use the same ones from my phone with no issue. 

On the Aruba Instant GUI, I can see in the Maintenance>Certificates pane that the Deafult Server Certificate expirerd in Auguest 2017, so did the Default CP Server Certificate.

And the Device Certificate doesn't expire until 2032.

• 8.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2018 08:34 AM

Does your radius server have a server certificate?

• 9.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

Posted Jun 06, 2018 08:04 AM

It was a radius certificate issue. 

• 10.  RE: Android and IOS can still connect to SSIDs, but Windows can't anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2018 08:54 AM

Can you please detail what was wrong?  We have a number of users who have radius certificate issues.