Wireless Access

Contributor II

Android "Sign into WiFi"

I'm starting to get more and more people using our new Aruba wireless deployment and in turn lots of new devices/variants are going through the process and exposing bugs to me. The latest seems to be specifically on Android devices.

There seems to be a 50/50 chance that when a user connects to our "access" SSID tha they receive the "Sign into WiFi" notification on their Android device. Beyond that, if they open Chrome and try to browse to a different site (which would typically force them to hit the captive portal) they get what appears to be an SSL cert error. Other browsers allow them to bypass this error, but Chrome does not.

Have any of you seen something similar, and if so, how did you fix it? I've got a TAC case open and my engineer is researching the issue but I figured it wouldn't hurt to reach out here as well. For reference, we're using 7220 6.3.1.8 and CPPM 6.3.4.

Guru Elite

Re: Android "Sign into WiFi"

hipzilla,

Unfortunately, the technical requirement to have the "Sign in" popup appear is not documented.  In addition, not all Android devices are capable of it.  AKA....don't depend on it...

Long-Term solution:  Deploy 802.1x so users do not have to sign in, at all.  Many more helpdesk tickets are generated from Captive Portal networks than 802.1x networks, and the experience is better.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor II

If not the "sign in" pop-up I need the browser to at least properly redirect. Our "access" SSID leads to a captive portal for people with older devices as well as instructions on how to get onto our 802.1x SSID. We're a (large) community college with an almost non-existent helpdesk, so the captive portal with informational blurbs is a big deal for us.
Guru Elite

hipzilla,

Are there any devices that it is not consistently redirecting for?  How many VLANs are in use for your Captive Portal Virtual AP?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Do all of your VLANs have an IP interface on the controller?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor II

cjoseph - iOS and Windows devices all seem to redirect without issue. The captive portal assistant on iOS always triggers and W8/8.1 open IE automatically. W7 requires the user to open a browser manually but it does redirect.

cappalli - Yes, they do.

This really is an ease of access issue for our users. If I connect to our access SSID with my Nexus 5 and open Chrome (since I never get the sign in notification) I don't get redirected. I can manually punch in our captive portal address and move on but I can't expect the same of our end users.
Guru Elite

Can you show us the output of “show rights ”?

And then any ACLs that are in that user role?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Guru Elite

hipzilla,

On that controller, please enable Firewall allow-tri-session.  This is for when the controller is not the default gateway for clients  in a Captive Portal configuration with multiple VLANs:

config t

firewall allow-tri-session

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Firewall_Roles/Global_Firewall_Paramete.htm

Colin Joseph

Contributor II

cappalli - I attached the output in a text file. Formatting wasn't looking nice in this window.

Contributor II

cjoseph - Reading the description of that setting leads me to believe that we may be going in the wrong direction with a fix. As stated, Apple iOS/OSX and Windows 7/8/8.1 are working fine. Certain versions of Android appear to break the captive portal redirect functionality. Those Android devices can punch in the captive portal address and log in like that or skip over to the 802.1x SSID (what most do). I think the attached screenshot is part of the problem.

The securelogin.arubanetworks.com cert that Aruba presents to Chrome generates an HSTS error and Chrome never redirects on that users phone/tablet.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: