Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Any way to stop wifi signal from traveling to the floor above :)

We have two rooms where the clients that sit in near the middle of the room will always attach to the AP directly below them, but in doing so they have horrible performance issues lots of (my guess) reflection issues due to HVAC, and concrete / metal mesh in the floor.  There is a perfectly good AP in the room they are in, yet most of the time they will grab the one below them.

Is there anything hardware wise we can do to stop this from happening that would not have a negative effect for the room below?  Our APs are all drop ceiling mounted.

Thanks,

Dan

Regular Contributor I

Re: Any way to stop wifi signal from traveling to the floor above :)

Are you able to adjust the "roaming agressiveness" setting in the end users device software?

Frequent Contributor I

msales wrote:

Are you able to adjust the "roaming agressiveness" setting in the end users device software?

Not for our BYOD users - well atleast not very well :) - even then we are a school so we have so many users that use this area throughout the day...

Sometimes I wish these clients/APs had some eyes so they can see how stupid their association is :)

Are your APs vertically aligned?

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Frequent Contributor I

samuel.perez wrote:

Are your APs vertically aligned?

We have them off-set from floor to floor so they are "off-center" then staggered.  It is just so weird because we only see this issue in these two rooms (the joy of wifi…).   

Hi

I don't like that kind of deployment precisely for this reason. At times, devices connect to APs on different floors and you that causes trouble. I'd recommend you to align your APs vertically. However, as I understand that it might not be that easy, I would suggest you disable the lower data rates so that you can guarantee that all the clients connected to your WLAN do so with an acceptable service.

Regards

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

Frequent Contributor I

samuel.perez wrote:

Hi

I don't like that kind of deployment precisely for this reason. At times, devices connect to APs on different floors and you that causes trouble. I'd recommend you to align your APs vertically. However, as I understand that it might not be that easy, I would suggest you disable the lower data rates so that you can guarantee that all the clients connected to your WLAN do so with an acceptable service.

Regards

What would this look like in a 3 level building?  do you have a diagram?  I know every building is different (especially when you are in a 110 year old building, as we are...)  

If that's the case (110 yr old building) I guess movin APs won't be an easy task, so try first elimitanting the slower data rates. If that weren't enough, just try to make sure that APs from floors 1, 2 and 3 are in as similar locations as possible. In this way, you more or less ensure that your clients will associate to the APs in their floors.

Regards

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

Frequent Contributor I

samuel.perez wrote:

If that's the case (110 yr old building) I guess movin APs won't be an easy task, so try first elimitanting the slower data rates. If that weren't enough, just try to make sure that APs from floors 1, 2 and 3 are in as similar locations as possible. In this way, you more or less ensure that your clients will associate to the APs in their floors.

Regards

I have a bit of wiggle room with the APs :)  I guess the issue we have is the 3rd floor has 25ft peaked ceilings, and the floor below is 15ft drop ceiling :) ugh... well I guess I will play with the data rates, and test... then attempt to move them a bit and test...  Old buildings really suck...

I was really hoping for some magic paint or wire mesh!!! :)

MVP

Aligning APs vertically will get you into trouble with ARM. I don't recommend that. If you want to control RF propagation, use antennas that have the radiation pattern you want or leverage attenuation materials that will absorb a large amount of signal as it penetrates the ceiling.
==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: