Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Anyone Moved from Meru/Fortinet to Aruba?

Wondering if anyone has moved from a Meru/Fortinet wireless infrastructure to Aruba?  We keep having weird issues with clients getting disconnected or not being able to connect sometimes.  Support has not been a whole lot of help honestly.  Every problem we report is a bug that gets referred to engineering, which may or may not eventually release a fix.  Fixed problems frequently come back in later releases.

We have about 200 HPE/Aruba switches that we are very happy with.  I got a couple of IAP305's to play with and the config is very easy and all the defaults seem sane.  Just wondering if anyone has converted and if so, how would you compare the two?

Aruba Employee

Re: Anyone Moved from Meru/Fortinet to Aruba?

Are you using the Fortinet "Integration" APs that use the FortiGate as the controller, or the WLC (the former Meru controller) and either Meru or Universal APs? I'm assuming you aren't using the controller-less FortiCloud managed APs.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering

It's the WLC controllers and non-universal APs. The AP models are 1020, 822, and 832.  Some are marked Meru and some are marked Fortinet, but identical otherwise.

Aruba Employee

Okay, so definitely the original Meru product. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll reserve comment since I'm an Aruba employee, but hopefully the clarification will help get a response from a customer/reseller who has experience with both products.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering

Thanks, and yes I'd prefer non-competitor response.

I will say that I really like how responsive Aruba is on these forums.  It seems like a great community.

MVP

The best community in existence :-p

Sean Rynearson
New Contributor

Hi,

The company I work install both Meru and Aruba wireless. Aruba is taking over the majory of our new installs but both are solid solutions. The IAP's are great and an easy solution to get up and running quickly, I do tend to stick with the Conservative release of firmware (Current is 6.5.3.6) as I have had some funny issues happen when running the latest Standard firmware (Current is 6.5.4.6). I like all the bugs out of the firmware before updating to it..!!!

I have a couple of sites running 6.5.3.6 with no issues.

JD

Thanks for the info.  Did you run vcell or native cell for your Meru installs?  I get conflicting information, depending on who I talk with at support.  We're running vcell for everything right now.

Any comparisons you can give between the two?

Hi JLester,

What industry are you in (ex: Higher Education/University) - 802.1x SSID, Guest SSID, BYOD, etc? We transitioned from Meru to Aruba at our university as part of a 3-year campus-wide-redesign initative - and have made several changes as part of that upgrade (some made possible by Aruba). So I was curious about your industry/environment to best formulate my response. :-) I want it to a "fair and accurate response" as some problems we ran into were masked by other problems.

I was a 2nd Level Help Desk analyst during our transition from Cisco to Meru (short-lived) and then I joined as a Wirless Network Engineer right about time our university decided to move from Meru to Aruba.

We're K-12 education.  We have 17 campuses and around 850 access points currently.  There is basically an AP in every classroom and common areas.  Middle and high schools have 802.11n and elementary have 802.11ac.  We typically see 5500-6000 wireless clients connected each day across the entire district.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: