Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 18, 2016 02:51 AM

Hi everyone,

we have a problem with an Aruba AP-205, which can not be integrated into the other AP´s. The other 20 AP´s are AP-105. We got the problem, that the AP-205 wants to be the Master of all Access Points, if I write the Controller IP into the Interface, it automatically takes the Master Ownership.

Prefered Master is deactivated for the AP-205. We tried everything now, to integrate the Ap-205 to the existing ones.

Does anybody had already the same problem and fixed it?

Is there any firmware upgrade available or what can cause the problem, that the new Access Point, wants to take the Master-Ownership?

Kind Regards

Patrick

• 2.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

MVP
    Posted Jan 18, 2016 04:28 AM

Problem you are runnign into I tihnk is that your IAP-cluster doesn't have the firmware for the IAP-205 and hence cannot add that AP to the cluster.

Try upgrading the IAP-205 (in a different vlan) first to the same firmware and only after that add it to the cluster vlan so it can be added.

• 3.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 18, 2016 05:49 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you now how to update the Ap-205, where i can get the firmware?

Many Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 18, 2016 06:42 AM

Thing is that you need the software to be the same that you have on your IAP's. I would suggest you first make sure you have the IAP-105's updated to the latest software accessible through the IAP GUI (Maintenance -> Firmware). Don't check the button for Reboot all AP's after upgrade, but instead wait 30 minutes or so until all AP's have gotten the upgraded software before you manully trigger a reboot of the IAPs (Maintenance -> Reboot || Reboot All

while doing this you can plug in the IAP-205 to a different VLAN than the other IAP's, reset it and do the same upgrade procedure for it.

Now - after upgrades and reboots you can move the IAP-205 to the same VLAN as the IAP-105's and you will shortly see the IAP-205 being joined to the cluster.

If you upgrade the IAP-205 while on the same subnet as the other IAP-105's can end up with a reset config on the existing IAP cluster.

• 5.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

MVP
    Posted Jan 18, 2016 06:52 AM

You do not need to download the firmware yourself. As john says, consider your setup as 2 different clusters for a bit and upgrade both to the latest version using the automatic image check. (Maintenance>Automatic>Check for New Version)

Be sure to keep the IAP-205 in a different vlan untill it is running the same firmware version as your IAP-105 cluster. When the firmware is identical just add the IAP-205 to your IAP-105 cluster. From there on forware upgrade will be seamless.

For more details on upgrading check http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_Mobile/Advanced/Content/UG_files/Basic_conf_tasks/Firmware_Image_Server_in.htm

• 6.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 20, 2016 08:28 AM

Thanks, for the quick responses.

If I want to search after new versions, the update server tells me "No response from Server".

Does the Firewall block anything?

Does anbody has the manuell firmware for AP-105?

Thanks in advance.

• 7.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2016 09:43 AM

Which version do you need?

• 8.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 20, 2016 10:00 AM
      |   view attached

Actually we have running the following version:

6.4.2.3-4.1.1.2_48114

Can you please provide me the latest Firmware?

As attached Screenshot I can just Update by URL, because search automatically after a new Version is not working.

Can somebody provide me the URL´s for 105 and 205?

• 9.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2016 10:58 AM

I already sent you both.  Please let me know if it does not work.

• 10.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 20, 2016 11:26 AM

We took our FTP Server and installed the new Firmware from you successfully.

So I wanted to took in a IAP-205 and IAP-105, but the both are their own master, I don´t know how to catch them at the reset of the farm, they will boot at own master, but will not detect the existing farm of Access Points. Does anybody has a tipp which problem this causes?

• 11.  RE: Ap-205 wants be be Master in AP Farm

Posted Jan 23, 2016 09:57 AM
    i would advise you to have a look at the Instant section as this is a common question there. things to consider: configuration on the cluster, does it allow new APs to auto join. are all APs on the same firmware level, double check. are all APs in the same L2 network.