Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

Posted May 29, 2014 12:29 PM

Does anyone know of an Android or iOS app that will allow you to list all active wifi client nodes within range of your device, and the strength of the received signal from each?

We're using Airwave here to give us an alert when certain wifi MAC addresses appear online on our network.  The alerts tell us which AP the MAC address is associating with.  That's helpful to a point, but falls short of letting us know the physical location of the device closely enough to be of much use.  We'd like to be able to physically go out to the AP in such cases, pull out our Andriod or iOS gadget and have it show us all the active wifi devices it can pickup, and the strength of its signal being received.  In that way we might be able to walk around and home in closer on where the device actually is.

Does anyone know of an App, or way to use Airwave (or the AP controllers themselves?) that would allow us to perform that kind of operation?

-John Jackson

Network Administrator

Smith College

• 2.  RE: App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

• 3.  RE: App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

Posted May 29, 2014 01:03 PM

Hi Victor, thanks for the reply :)  Well, I have had that app and looked at it a few times here and there, and it's got a lot of capabilities, but I'm not sure it has a feature quite meant to do what I'm looking for.  But if you think it does please let me know more details.  I know it allows me to get direct access to what the controllers are seeing going on out at all the AP's, but that won't help me.  I'm looking to measure the signal strength I'm receiving for any/all wifi devices within range of the device in my hand.  By walking around I figure I should be able to get closer and closer to any particular other device I am able to pickup, simply by moving in whatever direction keeps getting me a stronger signal being heard from it, you know?

-John

• 4.  RE: App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 03:56 PM

AirMagnet Spectrum XT, and I am sure other similar class of tools, have a Find Device Tool.  I believe this is what you are looking for.  It is NOT an app that runs on a smart phone however.

• 5.  RE: App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

Posted May 29, 2014 11:35 PM

Did you load your floorplans into VisualRF (in Airwave), set the scale appropriately, and put all the APs in their exact locations in VisualRF?  This should help you pinpoint the locaiton of the devices associated to your network.

I'm not aware of any phone apps that would help.  Metageek has a device finder that works for 2.4GHz.  Using it in combination with Chanalyzer Pro, you can hone in on a device's location.  Also, WildPacket's OmniPeek is capable of displaying BSSIDs and their associated clients.

• 6.  RE: App for showing all wifi clients presently in range of it?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2014 12:16 AM