Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Appending dns suffix

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Appending dns suffix

Posted Jul 18, 2017 03:43 AM

Is there any way to get the Aruba controllers to append the DNS suffix for our organisation?

I know it is a local setting in Windows that I can manually input, but is there a way to get the Aruba to do this for wireless clients.

We have alot of clients that are complaining about having to type the fully qualified name to connect to certain resources.

• 2.  RE: Appending dns suffix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2017 07:16 AM

What kind of authentication are they typing usernames for?

• 3.  RE: Appending dns suffix

Posted Jul 20, 2017 04:59 AM

Sorry for the delay - these devices are for wireless mirroring to seminar room screens.

Apple users can use airplay, but android/windows users have to use a client app called mirrorOp.

It would be alot easier for them we could shorten the hostnames.

At the moment users have to type

room-number.domain.com

We would like them to just be able to type the room number....

So is there a way to append our dns suffix for users who connect wirelessly?

• 4.  RE: Appending dns suffix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 20, 2017 05:02 AM

You should be able to do this on the DNS server that is serving your clients...

• 5.  RE: Appending dns suffix

Posted Jul 21, 2017 03:22 AM

I thought the preferred DNS suffix was sent by the DHCP server? This we are already doing...

• 6.  RE: Appending dns suffix

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 08:30 AM

Honestly, I am not sure that this is a wireless issue.

The DHCP server does send the suffix, but the DNS server decides which domains it will handle.  Both servers need to be investigated to understand what is going on...  If a client does not append the DHCP domain suffix, it should be investigated..