Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Apple TV and Apple Play

Hello,

I was told apple TV and airplay can cause wifi issues and filtering might help.  Are there any good articles on what happens and why?  The customer doesn't want to believe this.

Guru Elite

Re: Apple TV and Apple Play

The AirGroup solution solves these. Is the customer using controllers or Instant?

Sent from Nine

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor I

Thanks - they are using instant.

Guru Elite

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks  - the first one was close.  I basically need something that says broadcasting is bad - printers, airplay etc.   I have no problem getting them interested in airplay but they'd like an a la carte explanation to begin with that just says how chatty these things are when on a business network.

Guru Elite

boe,

Please see the discussion here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Broadcast-domain-size-Does-it-matter/td-p/73682

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

Thanks.   If I have a dozen APs that have 2 vlans currently - guest and private wifi, could I create a 3rd VLAN with a seperate SSID - put it on those same APs and have it dedicated for when they need to use the APPLE TV so it would be restricted to about 2 people at any given time.   Will those broadcasts impact the people on that AP that are on the regular private wifi vlan/ssid?   I'm not sure if broadcasts on one ssid in any way use up processing power or bandwidth etc on the rest of that APs ssids. 

Guru Elite

Yes, those users will be impacted, because they use the same spectrum.  Also, adding an additional SSID also brings more managment traffic that could impact your throughput, even more.  Airgroup makes it so that airplay and airprint, etc can operate with drop broadcasts and multicast enabled.  That is the best route.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: