Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TV and Apple Play

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Apple TV and Apple Play

Posted Nov 19, 2015 06:37 PM

Hello,

I was told apple TV and airplay can cause wifi issues and filtering might help.  Are there any good articles on what happens and why?  The customer doesn't want to believe this.

• 2.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2015 06:38 PM
    The AirGroup solution solves these. Is the customer using controllers or Instant?

Sent from Nine

• 3.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

Posted Nov 19, 2015 10:20 PM

Thanks - they are using instant.

• 4.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

• 5.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

Posted Nov 19, 2015 11:08 PM

Thanks  - the first one was close.  I basically need something that says broadcasting is bad - printers, airplay etc.   I have no problem getting them interested in airplay but they'd like an a la carte explanation to begin with that just says how chatty these things are when on a business network.

• 6.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2015 07:57 AM

• 7.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play

Posted Nov 20, 2015 10:22 AM

Thanks.   If I have a dozen APs that have 2 vlans currently - guest and private wifi, could I create a 3rd VLAN with a seperate SSID - put it on those same APs and have it dedicated for when they need to use the APPLE TV so it would be restricted to about 2 people at any given time.   Will those broadcasts impact the people on that AP that are on the regular private wifi vlan/ssid?   I'm not sure if broadcasts on one ssid in any way use up processing power or bandwidth etc on the rest of that APs ssids. 

• 8.  RE: Apple TV and Apple Play
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2015 10:25 AM

Yes, those users will be impacted, because they use the same spectrum.  Also, adding an additional SSID also brings more managment traffic that could impact your throughput, even more.  Airgroup makes it so that airplay and airprint, etc can operate with drop broadcasts and multicast enabled.  That is the best route.