Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TVs in large broadcast domain

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Apple TVs in large broadcast domain

Posted Nov 13, 2014 03:42 AM

Hi all,

I have a client who is using a lot of Apple TVs in their network (all meeting rooms have that). The thing is that for some reason is some connectivity issues and the iPads seem to drop connection quite frequently after 10-20min. This happens on both bands, coverage is ok.

Their LAN network desing is relatively old using a single large subnet where all wired + wireless clients, including APs and controllers are operating.

Would it make sense to try to drop broadcast/multicast on main SSID and create a new one for Bounjour devices (AppleTVs) where broadcast/multicast is still allowed? I have read that this could help in speed / performance issues at least.

• 2.  RE: Apple TVs in large broadcast domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2014 04:06 AM

If this is a controller-based network, you should already be using "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" on all your Virtual APs and turn on the Airgroup Feature.  Airgroup is designed to be used with "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" turned on.

You can also consider splitting up the subnets mainly for manageability reasons, but turn "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" on for performance immediately.

• 3.  RE: Apple TVs in large broadcast domain

Posted Nov 13, 2014 05:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Joseph.

Do I need to buy license for "ClearPass Manager" or is Airgroup feature available separately?

• 4.  RE: Apple TVs in large broadcast domain

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2014 05:22 AM

If you are running an Aruba Controller-Based network and are running ArubaOS 6.3 and above, Airgroup is included and should be turned on by default.