Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

Posted Mar 16, 2018 03:53 AM

Morning,

I am experiencing some issues with Apple devices (specially with iPhones).

I have the following setup:

Wireless network with 2 controllers (Master-Standby), and CPPM as a RADIUS server.

I have set up a SSID with 802.1x (EAP-TLS authentication) used to connect mobile devices provided with a certificate (mostly iPhones and iPads). The controller is configured as the DHCP server for this SSID (only DHCPv4, DHCPv6 is disabled)

The issue I experience is the following:

When some devices connect to that SSID, they successfully authenticate (I can see a successful authentication in CPPM access tracker). They also get an IPv4 address from the controller ( I use the commands "logging level debugging network subcat dhcp" and "show log network all | include <client_mac_address>").

However, I can see from the clients that they do not get access to the network. When I look from the controller, I can see that those clients are using IPv6 addresses instead (fe80::/10).

Furthermore, if I manually configure an IPv4, DNS, and default GW in those clients, they can actually connect to the network.

In my opinion, it looks like a problem on the client side. I wonder if someone else has experienced these issues and how I could troubleshoot it

Thank you very much in advance

/Kevin

• 2.  RE: Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

Posted Aug 14, 2018 04:03 AM

We seem to have this issue on a IAP3xx. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 3.  RE: Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

MVP
    Posted Aug 15, 2018 11:26 AM

Try disabling IPv6 functionality on the controller, it should prevent IPv6 sessions from being added to the user-table.

• 4.  RE: Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

Posted Aug 16, 2018 04:22 AM

How do I do that in Instant GUI config? "Allow IPv6 Management: " is disabled.

• 5.  RE: Apple using IPv6 link local addresses instead of DHCP-provided IPv4 addresses

MVP
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 06:29 AM
    @hill2button for an IAP, I don't think that functionality is available. Have you tried setting up an IPv6 deny all ACL to prevent users from passing traffic using IPv6? Also, can you confirm that the client is at least obtaining an IPv4 DHCP address, it's just trying to communicate using IPv6?