Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AppleTV remote control app

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AppleTV remote control app

Posted Sep 06, 2015 12:48 PM

The iOS remote control app supposedly uses Home Sharing in order to control an Apple TV.

Airgroup is configured (I think) correctly as I can send content from iPhone/iPad via AirPlay, but cannot get the remote control app working.

I do have iTunes airgroup service enabled but I wonder if it's a different service that I need to add.

Controllers running 6.4.2.5 code and CPPM is at 6.4.7

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2015 12:52 PM
    Run show airgroup blocked-service-id and see if it's listed.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted Sep 06, 2015 01:22 PM

Found an article that mentioned that the itunes service might not be enabled.  It was enabled on the master, but it seems that these settings need to be set on the local controllers too.  

In any case, I did enable it and also enabled allowall.  Still the app is not working.

Everything works in a regular non aruba network (ie home network).  I dont' see neither the iPhone nor AppleTV ip address in the list of blocked-servcice-id listing either.

But thanks for the pointer.

• 4.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted Sep 11, 2015 02:17 PM

As a followup, I'm having the same problems but between an Amazon FireTV Stick and it's remote control app.  The app cannot find the device.

I have a ticket with support.  But I'm sure someone else had to have this problem...

• 5.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2015 02:19 PM
    The Fire TV remote uses a unique identifier for each service (similar to
    Apple with their iCloud crap) so it can't easily be used as an AirGroup
    service.

• 6.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:14 AM

So if it creates a unique service, why wouldn't it work when you have enable all?  I imagine the remote control app functions the same way then?

I think we have more issues since I have two Apple TV registered under my name and can only see one of them from an iPhone and none of them from an iPad.  

• 7.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted Dec 11, 2015 06:39 PM

Did you ever sort this as im having the same problem whereby i cannot access my itunes library on the network via the Apple remote app on my iphone?

• 8.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted May 07, 2016 11:42 PM

Any luck getting Amazon FireTV Stick and it's remote control app working?

• 9.  RE: AppleTV remote control app

Posted May 09, 2016 11:43 AM

Completely forgot to ever update this thread although it did a lot of debugging to finally figure out the problem.

To recap we were getting inconsistencies with AirPlay, although for the most part it wasn't working. In the end, we had two issues.

* The few times that AirPlay was working was due to the iOS devices and Apple TV were connecting via bluetooth. Big duh moment here.

* The second problem was in how devices were being registerd to CPPM. Our original implementation goes back when Amigopod and CPPM were separate prodcuts. At the time, we implemneted a captive portal that would register endpoints as known devices after the user would authenticate. Other devices like consoles and eventually Apple TV would get registered in Amigopod offline by the end user. The main issue ended up being that the devices registered directly in CPPM would be stored with the mac address as the username. The consoles and Apple TV in Amigopod (or Guest module now) would get registered under the authenticated username. No match, no AirPlay. Support helped us in modifying the corresponding profile so the authenticated username would be the one being stored instead of the mac address.

Regarding the FireStick, I remember it working without problems, though very limited test was ever done. We are still in the process of testing location based AirPlay, so will try this again.