Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

Posted Aug 14, 2018 05:36 PM

I'm not very experienced with Aruba but have one at my current employer.  We have an Aruba 3200 running ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 (I am purchasing RAM to upgrade to the latest possible in the future.)  I currently have a VLAN for our internal WiFi users that has a DHCP Server running on the Aruba.  I'd like to change that so it will get the IP Addresses from the DHCP Servers on our network.  This is currently how the other VLAN for Guest access is working.

I turned off the DHCP Server but I just would not get any IP Addresses when trying to connect.  Other than deleting the DHCP Server under IP, what else do I need to do so it allows the WiFi clients to get their IP addresses from the network DHCP servers?

Name: Aruba Operating System Software.
    Model: Aruba3200-US
    Version: 6.1.5.0

Thanks!

Maintenance

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 05:59 PM

on the commandline:

config t

no service dhcp

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:03 PM

Thank you for the reply.  I have never used the CLI at all and have only connected via the web interface.  I go to Configuration | IP | DHCP Server and uncheck Enable DHCP Server.  Will this do the same thing?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:08 PM

Yes.  And click apply.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:09 PM

Thanks!  I did that but I couldn't get an IP address.  I'm trying a reboot of the controller after disabling the DHCP Server to see if that helps.  I'll post my results.

• 6.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:26 PM

No reboot.  What is supplying dhcp?

• 7.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:37 PM

Here's what I have found:

When I disable, my Android device fails configuring IP.  My iOS device will connect with the IP it had before.  Even if I forget the network, it will remember the IP it had before.  Weird. 

Anyway, once I enable the DHCP server again, the Android device then works.  My DHCP servers are two Windows Server 2016 boxes running fault tolerant DHCP for anything on our network.  It seems as if the Aruba is not allowing DHCP requests to announce on the private network.

• 8.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 06:42 PM

Is the dhcp server on the same Layer -2 VLAN as the users?

Do you have any ACLs in your firewall policy for those users?

• 9.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server

Posted Aug 14, 2018 07:01 PM

Again, I'm not very experienced with Aruba so I'm kind of figuring this out as I research.  Here is what I have:

VLAN4 (no port): Setup as the Internal WiFi, serves its own DHCP Server and routes through VLAN5 for our private network.  So, it makes sense that just disabling DHCP doesn't help as that VLAN has no access to our internal network directly.

So, I'm thinking the issue is that I need to tell the APs to be on VLAN5, since it already routes to our internal network.  Does that sound right?

We are not doing any Firewall functions as there is already a company firewall and the 3200 is only used to connect to our Internal network, already behind the firewall.

• 10.  RE: Aruba 3200 Controller ArubaOS 6.1.5.0 Turn off DHCP Server
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2018 07:11 PM

Thank you for your replies and getting me thinking the way I should.  I needed to:

Configuration | Wireless | AP Configuration | Wireless LAN | Virtual AP | Internal _ Network | Change VLAN from 4 to 5.

After saving that, it worked.  Duh!  Again, thanks for getting me thinking about the Wireless was not on the same VLAN.