Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 3rd SSID Not Retrieving DHCP (Aruba Airwave)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 3rd SSID Not Retrieving DHCP (Aruba Airwave)

Posted Oct 19, 2016 09:11 AM

My thrid ssid will not retrieve DHCP and cant figure out why.

Heres my setup (example IPs)

DHCP Server IP - 192.168.1.127/24

Core Switch IP - 192.168.1 4/24 (Data Vlan 20)

Aruba Vlan 55 on core with Interface Vlan 55 - 192.168.3.1/24

Aruba Vlan 56 on core with interface Vlan 56 - 192.168.4.1/24

Access Switch Aruba trunk port with all vlans allowed and native trunk vlan 55

so the 1st SSID in Aruba is setup for company network with the following settings

general set to employee, vlan set to client ip assignment (network assigned) client vlan assignment (default) - which pulls from the native trunk vlan 55, security is enterpeise wpa-2 enterprise (setup for RADIUS), access is unrestricted. this is getting right DHCP pool from DHCP server

the second ssid is setup for public wifi with the following settings

general set to guest, vlan client ip assignment (virtual controller assigned) client vlan assignment (default), security setup for wpa-2 personal, access network based with some access rules to block company network. This is getting the correct DHCP pool from Aruba magic vlan 3333

the third ssid is were im having my issues. its not recieving ip addresses from the DHCP server. its setup as follows

general is setup as employee, vlan client ip assignment (network assigned) client vlan assignment (static vlan id 56), security wpa-2 personal, access unrestricted. This ssid is for some manufacturig scanners. but for some reason the ssid will not pull from the vlan 56 dhcp pool of 192.168.4.0/24

what can be causing this? if i set this up in a test enviroment and have the l3 switch define the dhcp pool it works. but for some reason when theres an outside dhcp server defining the vlan in aruba airwave doesnt work.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 3rd SSID Not Retrieving DHCP (Aruba Airwave)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 19, 2016 10:38 AM

Is your access point on a trunk with vlan 56 tagged?

• 3.  RE: Aruba 3rd SSID Not Retrieving DHCP (Aruba Airwave)

Posted Oct 19, 2016 11:25 AM

the port that the access point is on has "trunk encapsulation dot1q" on and the "trunk allowed vlan all" on with the "native trunk vlan 55".

so the trunk port can pass all vlans on the L2 switch

• 4.  RE: Aruba 3rd SSID Not Retrieving DHCP (Aruba Airwave)
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 20, 2016 08:20 AM

issue has been resolved. out of the 35 switches, one of the trunked switches between my core and the switch with the access point did not have the vlan allowed on the trunk port. The last network admin who configured this switch defined the allowed vlans instead of allowing all the vlans on the trunk port.