Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

I have a quick question, we are currently running 6.3.1.7 that is controlling over 110 access points at the moment.  What should I upgrade to firmware wise?  I see 6.4.2.16 is the latest, but I also see 6.3.1.21 is also in the latest?  What is the recommended latest stable version I should upgrade?  If 6.3.1.21 is the recommendation, can you explain what the 6.4 and 6.3 difference is so I know in the future?

Guru Elite

Re: Aruba 7210 Controller 6.3.1.7 to .21 or to 6.4.x.x question

6.3.1.21 is the latest in the 6.3.1.x train.  6.4.2.16 is the latest in the 6.4.2.x train.  They honestly have little to do with each other; the release numbers are not synchronized or anything.  You can sort of look at them as different software.

The big question is, why are upgrading?  Most people upgrade to fix bugs or they are looking for added features.  If everything is working, it does not serve you to upgrade, unless you have hardware that only runs on a different train of code.  If you say why you are upgrading, that will dictate if you stay in the same train or you need to upgrade to a different train.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the very fast response.  We tend to like to stay up to date on the latest firmwares as much as we can and we have an upgrade window coming up that we usually only get once a year since this is in a hospitatility environment.

We will also be adding some 220's to this environment and only issue we have had is some areas is signal strength with the AP135's, but currently testing some EIRP settings.  We noticed the config had a max EIRP of 15.

Guru Elite

If that is the case, review the release notes for .21 and see how it affects you.  There could be changes, but when you stay in the same train, theoretically there should only be bug fixes and not major changes that you typically should be concerned about.  You should look in the release notes just in case there is a known issue or if there is a behavior change as the result of a bug being fixed.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: