Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

Posted Sep 17, 2013 10:58 AM

Hello,

I have an Aruba 7220 controller which is getting stuck saying "Reading configuration from default.cfg" - it gets no further after several minutes/hours and I get no login prompt.  It does respond to me pressing RETURN a few times by printing blank lines, so it's not completely frozen.  The LCD panel on the front says the same thing and the buttons don't work.

If I break in at CPboot (at the second "Hit any key to stop autoboot" prompt), then I can do "setenv cfgfile default1.cfg" / "save" / "reset" and get the setup wizard again.  However, at the end of this, I get:

Do you wish to accept the changes (yes|no)yes
      Creating configuration...Failed to initialize mysql connection.. Continuing.
      Done.

System will now restart!

If I now break in to CPboot again and blank cfgfile with "setenv cfgfile" / "save" / "bootf" (or "reset") the controller gets hung on "Reading configuration from default.cfg".  If I don't blank cfgfile, the controlelr re-enters the wizard again.

The 7220 controller is running 6.2.1.2 and was being set up ready to migrate off our existing M3-based infrastructure (running the same release) - I can't remember what configuration was saved on it, but it may have been either blank or had a base configuration ready to be joined to the mobility domain.  However, I don't mind blatting it, although it does have licences on it.

How can I break in and recover the controller (with or without saving the configuration)?

Thanks,

- Bob

• 2.  RE: Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 26, 2013 09:15 AM

Hello,

I logged this call through my support partner and got some advice from Aruba (slightly clarified by me):

1. Power cycle the controller and break into the CPBoot by hitting the enter key on startup (console access).

=> The one with cpboot> as the prompt - so the second one on a 7220.

2. Format Partition 0:2, which is where the configuration file is stored:

cpboot> format 0:2

Format will erase everything on the internal flash's partition 2.

Are you sure you want to continue (y/n)?y

Formating.........

Done

=> This took almost an hour for me on a 7220 and printed screens and screens of hashes.]

3.  Reload the controller and follow the start-up wizard to regain IP connectivity to the controller.

=> In my case, this printed messages about the filesystem having errors, but the ArubaOS boot process rebuilt the filesystem and reinitialised everything without input.

4.  Verify the images in the two partitions by issuing the following command:

(Aruba) #show image version

=> This command - and 'show version' - displayed a large warning about the bootloader needing to be reinstalled as it had been blanked.  This just required a reinstall of the OS image as per a normal upgrade - I just installed the same OS image in the other partition and it resolved it.

This operation removed all my licences, but I was just able to re-enter the activation keys (which I got from the licensing website again) and it all worked peachy.

I can't vouch for this being safe on all controllers, although the example I was sent was slightly different (referring to 'internal flash' although my 7220 reported 'eUSB flash') - so it's possible it will brick another model.  However, it did fix things.  I would check with your support partner first, though!

- Bob

• 3.  RE: Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

Posted May 28, 2015 11:25 AM

Great solution !!!!.

In ARUBA 7010 works very Fine.

I'm the same problem, with a controller ARUBA 7010 V6.4.2.2, an with this solution the controller UP correctly.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

Posted Nov 18, 2015 10:34 AM

Thanks Bob.

Works on 7005 controller also.

Andy

• 5.  RE: Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

Posted Dec 22, 2015 04:40 AM

haii.. You Format Partition 0.2 or 0.1 in 7010 ?

Thanks

Harry

• 6.  RE: Aruba 7220 stuck reading default.cfg

Posted Dec 23, 2015 03:24 AM

In 7010 "Format Partition 0:2".