Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

Posted Dec 13, 2017 02:43 AM

Hi Forum,

On an Aruba 8.2 controller the power is reflected as Transmit EIRP (dBm) .

How do I convert this value to "MW out power" for a AP-305. The actual goal is to get 25mW of out power.

Thanks for the info!

• 2.  RE: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

Posted Dec 13, 2017 05:52 AM

You would need about 14dBm of EIRP to achieve that:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/mW_to_dBm.html

• 3.  RE: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

Posted Dec 13, 2017 07:20 AM

Hi Arjan,

I understand your reply and in essence it is correct.

However i found post: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/In-802-11-transmit-EIRP-15-what-is-this-in-terms-of-MW-out-put/td-p/198471

That post suggests that you should take the antenna gain. E.g. when having a gain of 7.6 dBi on 5Ghz, that this will result in 14 dBm EIRP + 7.6 dBi antenna gain == 21,6 dBm EIRP

So my question relates to the actual radiated power by the antenna, not the power supplied towards the antenna.

Any ideas to clarify what is the correct answer on this?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2017 07:48 AM

• 5.  RE: Aruba 8.2 Controller Transmit EIRP (dBm) relation to MW out put power on Radio on AP-305
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2017 07:59 AM

The answer from Herman in that topic should conclusive. The values you see in ArubaOS are EIRP; this means antenna gain is accounted for; in other words: this is the value after antenna gain.

For AP's with internal antennas ArubaOS already knows the antenna gain, but when working with external antennas you will have to configure the antenna gain during AP provisioning. This way, ArubaOS can calculate the correct EIRP so local regulations can be met.

If you want to know the actual TX-power on the radio side of the AP you can look at CLI commands like: "show ap debug  power-table ap-name <AP> radio <0 or 1>"