Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

Posted Dec 12, 2017 12:08 AM

Ok so I bought 2 of these Access Points (IAP325s) off of Ebay in Used Condition, Guy claimed he was updating his network to something better than Entry and no longer had a need for them, so i did some research and realised that 450 bucks a piece was a hell of a deal so I bought them. 

The only way I am able to maintain access is to keep them from accessing the internet. Once I figured out what was causing my problem, I set them up inside a closed network, I flashed latest IAP Standalone Firmware, set my network names, set the static IP, and set it to reboot, Once I did that, and the LED light turned RED, I unplugged it from the AC adapter and transferred it to what was supposed to be its Final Spot, The "Switch Closet". Waited for it to boot, connected to it via the GUI and started testing to make sure everything was working out as intended, and then it happenned again.

It does not seem to matter what I do, after about 3 minutes or so, It will turn off the SSIDs that I set, however does not broadcast anything new, The Radio light remains Green (Solid) along with the Power Light, and I cannot log back into the GUI, keeps telling me my Login Details are wrong.

I have 4 Aruba IAP 205s that do not have this issue, and I completed the same steps with them without fail, so hence Why I am Baffled.

Anyone have any Idea what would cause this?

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 12:17 AM

You might have to contact TAC (Technical Support), because those IAPs could still be under cloud management from the previous user.   To take them under management, you would typically sign up for your own account at https://activate.arubanetworks.com and add the device using the cloud activation key and the wired mac address:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/What-cause-IAP-does-not-have-a-Cloud-Activate-Key/ta-p/192573

You can contact TAC here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

Posted Dec 12, 2017 08:15 AM

Thanks for the Info, Youve already been more help than google.

I tried to contact support by phone and they want me to buy a support contract before they will help with anything. 

So Another question then,

If I wanted to not sign up for a cloud account and activate through all that, mainly because I do not want to pay for it, Could I just block device.arubanetworks.com all together, and solve my issue or would it just simply find another way to communicate?

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2017 08:29 AM

You can block traffic to device.arubanetworks.com; that would be one way to fix it.

activate.arubanetworks.com registration does not cost anything.  You can register at that site, and then enter the APs wired mac address and cloud activation key to gain control of that AP.  It then will be in a default mode, with no rules.

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

Posted Dec 12, 2017 08:39 AM

Oh well I guess i did not look into it enough, Thanks for the help. 

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

Posted Dec 12, 2017 05:03 PM

Ok so I got "activated" and went into the dash board. When I got in there was quite a surprise, They just added me to a Dashboard... with 2,920 APs in it, I cannot remove APs, I can just move them around, but Im sure someone is gonna notice, Is there another way to keep it from being provisioned?

I also figured out I cannot block the "device.arubanetworks.com" or "central.arubanetworks.com" Because I have a pretty crappy router that does not block 443 traffic by DNS name. Im sure we all know what happens when you block 443 lol... So we are gonna avoid that. 

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP325 Ignores settings after connecting to Internet

Posted Dec 12, 2017 06:06 PM

Hi Jim,

If you wouldn't mind, drop me a line at edwright@hpe.com. I'm the Activate product manager. I can help get things right for you.

Thanks,

Ed