Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted Jun 08, 2018 04:58 PM

Hey Airheads,

at ATM18EMEA Aruba announced a new AP: the AP387. It's a 5GHz and 60GHz point-to-point AP which delivers 1GBit/s on a distance of 500m. I gathered some additional information here:

https://linux-nerds.de/2018/06/06/aruba-ap387-a-step-into-the-world-of-ieee-802-11ad/

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted Jun 11, 2018 04:25 AM

But will it get ETSI certification for outdoor-use?

I guess with that antenna it will not... 

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:28 PM

We plan to submit under ETSI yes. Note that the 11ad radio is a different certification than WiFi in the 5Ghz. The 5Ghz component of the certification will not be an issue since it's basically what we have already submitted and is already approved in our other products (obviously within ETSI's allowed channels and power ranges). 

US and ETSI will be first, other regions will be TBD as their 60Ghz regulatory requirements are not finalized.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:11 AM

When will AP-387 get available in EMEA? What will be the list price?

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted Jun 29, 2018 04:50 AM

Sadly there is no official information about this yet. We'll have to wait. I heard some numbers, but nothing official. The list price should be in the normal, upper range of the Aruba APs and it won't be the most expensive one.

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted Feb 08, 2019 10:09 AM

Any updates on the price & delivery of the AP-387? 

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2019 07:09 AM

Prices depend on your region - it will be best to request a quote from your local partner or distributor (if you are a partner). Prices are available already, but I amnot sure if I am supposed to post them here ;-)

• 8.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted Feb 28, 2019 07:31 AM

Thanks Markus, I did find some budgetary pricing online. I am a partner but I'm in sales and don't directally talk to our distributors. Really, I just wanted to subscribe to this thread to stay up to date on the 387's. : ) 

• 9.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 09, 2019 03:35 PM

Not just price... Is there any project planner for exteriors?
    The aruba online tool does not have the APs updated, the AP-387 do not appear.
    Is there someone who has a project implemented with these AP-387 that he could consult?
    I would appreciate your support as soon as possible.

• 10.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2019 05:26 PM

he 387 will not likely be loaded in the Aruba 3DOP, it's a bridge only device and max range is 400m or under. In terms of consulting if the distance is at or under 400m, and it has clear line of sight, it should work fine. Setup is exactly the same as AOS or Instant mesh.

• 11.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 16, 2019 01:04 PM

Where is the RESET button and USB console port located on the AP-387?  I cannot locate it in any documentation.

• 12.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2019 07:37 PM

The installation guide (Figure 3) shows the cap that covers both the USB port, LED, and the reset button.

• 13.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 17, 2019 02:54 PM

When will this AP be supported in a conservative release firmware?

We bought 2 but I am not willing to upgrade our production network to a standard release just so we can use it.

• 14.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2019 08:27 PM

Will be whenever 8.4 is tagged CR, no firm time/date.

• 15.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 17, 2019 03:12 PM
    Where do we control the 60mhz radio? Instantos shows 2.4 which the 387 doesn't have?

Seems like the software is incomplete.

• 16.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 17, 2019 08:29 PM

Right now, there is no control over the 60Ghz radio. Radio0 is 5Ghz, and Radio1 is 60Ghz, but some of the old labels still show 2.4Ghz in the GUI and CLI. Those will be updated in future revs of code.

• 17.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 20, 2019 09:57 AM

Thank you for the information.  Glad to see an unfinished product being sold with next to zero documentation...

Glad Aruba has this forum, otherwise adopters would be left in the dark.

• 18.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 20, 2019 11:54 AM

True. The dark is there any way... (a lot of bugs and details sometimes)

I still have darkness about AP-370... for example another detail: What happens with Wi-Fi users connected to the remote AP-370 if the 60GHz link goes down and "automatically" enters the 5GHz radio?

I would like HPE to have a test program (loan a pair of equipment and if it does not work as you expect the money back) before making a large purchase (remembering that it is "plug & play".) For the distance (and only for that) I want to buy 20 pairs of AP-370 but I have distrust especially in this country where they hardly monitor the frequencies (autority) Here anyone links to any power, that's why I clarify about the distances (and thinking that they would be within the boundary area) however if someone puts teams nearby in high towers with down tilt...

• 19.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2019 12:23 PM

The AP-370s do not have a 60Ghz radio, only the AP-387 does. The AP-387 does not service clients in any way, it is purely a PtP bridge. 

What country?

As for the rest I'm not following.

• 20.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 20, 2019 12:42 PM

Sorry, I was referring to AP-387, I read a bit of the AP-370 (I don't have AP-370 but I have AP-275) and was confused, besides that the consultant apparently doesn't know the fact that he just confirmed: Just PtP both radios (no Wi-Fi service to users!!). Already solved "the doubt"! As I said we (here) have some darkness...

By the way: The good old "3DO " Aruba Outdoor online tool needs to be modified and add the link case with the AP-387 for a more complete theoretical (pre-project) solution.

Specifying:

Thank you.

• 21.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

Posted May 20, 2019 12:46 PM

I've got them to mesh and link up now,  it just is a shame the software isn't ready (fully) yet...AP-387.png

• 22.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2019 01:13 PM

The software, in terms of supporting the 387 in PtP, the software is fine. Specific to some GUI elements reflecting the 60Ghz radio by name, and some CLI outputs not being complete, that is the gap. In parallel, Aruba has not had strong mesh monitoring (in general) across the product portfolio but that is being worked on now.

• 23.  RE: Aruba AP387 - the new AP announced by Aruba

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2019 01:11 PM

Specific to the 387, as noted previously, it will NOT be added to the 3DOP (outdoor planner).