Wireless Access

paw
Contributor I

Aruba Controller 620 with 16 Remote AP Support

Hello together,

as far as I know the 620 controller supported up to 32 remote ap's. My ACMP was in Version 5 so maybe this changed since version 6.x? Because actually the Controller Matrix talks about 8 CAPs and RAPs?!

Now I have the issue that a customer with 620 controller want's to use 9 APs. Is this really a physical limitation, oder is the usage of 9 RAPs still possible, but not recommended?

Thanks in advance!

PAW

Aruba

Re: Aruba Controller 620 with 16 Remote AP Support

In version 6.x, the RAP limit on the 620 is 8.  

Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Aruba

version 6.2 more specifically.  6.1 can still have 32 RAP on a 620 controller.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
paw
Contributor I

[ Edited ]

Edit:

I have Verson 6.1.3.6 installed acutally. But the 9 th AP is flagged with "IL" so unlicensed and inactive.

Actually I have 8 running APs. So I have to provision one of the running CAP as RAP and then I can add another RAP, right?

Aruba

yeah that's right. 

8 CAPs or 7 CAPs + 4 RAPs or 6 CAPs + 8 RAPs and so on.

You do still need the AP licence though.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Contributor II

facing the same Problem, can somebody tell me whats the supported APs in 6.4?

I have 6.1.3.6 running 

12 AP License

7 CAPs

3 RAPs

Remaining

0 CAPs

1 RAPs

the APs are AP93 and i have to install 2x AP103. Therefore i have to update to 6.4 i think. How does the Supported AP change then?

New Contributor

On the 620 controller, with any firmware on a newer line than 6.1.x, you are hardware limited to 8 AP's whether they are RAP or CAP.  So if you update to 6.4.x code, you'll be able to run less AP's than currently, not more.  You're looking at upgrading to a new controller.  The good news is that the new base model, the 7005, supports 16 APs.  The 600 series controllers don't support all of the 6.3 and 6.4 features anyway.

As I understand it, the trade off with the newer code is that:

• Downside: RAP's and CAP's have the same value, so whatever controller you own, the old CAP hardware limit, is the new all AP limit.  So admins can't skirt the AP limit by provisioning them as RAPs anymore.
  • Upside: On 6.3 and newer there is License Pooling.   So you don't have to buy all those duplicate licenses anymore for redundancy.  Just set your Master controller as the "license server" for the master controller's domain, and your controllers can share licenses for redundancy now.  So if one controller fails, it gives up the licenses it was consuming, and the backup LMS controller can take start using those licenses (just make sure that controller's hardware limit supports your total number of APs :-D ).
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: