Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

Posted Jan 27, 2015 02:17 PM

I have an Aruba 7210 Controller with two 10Gig GBICs connecting to a switch in an LACP trunk.  Everything works great until I reboot the controller.  Then I lose all connectivity to the controller (can't ping it's mgmt IP, can't access web gui, etc) until I physically re-seat the GBIC's in the Aruba controller.  The GBICs are HP J9150A.  Everything works fine after re-seating the GBICs and the problem only crops up when the controller is rebooted...  Aruba Support has upgraded the ArubaOS but that hasn't helped.  My switch says the links is up/up and not blocked by spanning tree....the Aruba controller GUI shows the port as having an admin statis of Up but an operational status of Down.  Aruba support has worked on this problem extensively and has no fix for the issue.....anyone have any experience with this?  I have tried swapping GBICs and cables but the problem persists...

• 2.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2015 02:19 PM

If you console in, do you see the transceiver information when you run:

show interface gigabitethernet <interface> transceiver

• 3.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

Posted Jan 27, 2015 02:23 PM

Thanks for your prompt response.  

Before I re-seat the GBIC it says:  

Transceiver not detected on port 0/0/2

After I re-seat the GBIC (and ping starts working and everything is fine) it says:

Module is SFP/SFP+
    Manufacturer : FINISAR CORP.
    Part Number : FTSX8573D3BCL-PR, rev: A
    S/N : xxx
    Date Code : 140703 Lot:
    Optional Signals : LOS, Tx Fault, Tx Disable
    Supported Modes : 10GBASE-SR, LC Connector
    Wavelength : 850 nm

• 4.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2015 02:28 PM

I would reach out to your Aruba account team to acquire an Aruba approved SFP to see if the problem persists.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

Posted Jan 27, 2015 02:33 PM

Ok, thanks!

• 6.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

Posted Jan 27, 2015 03:05 PM

@cappalli wrote:

I would reach out to your Aruba account team to acquire an Aruba approved SFP to see if the problem persists.

@User284882, for reference, supported transceivers can be found here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/interoperability/#SFP-XFP

• 7.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

Posted Feb 13, 2015 10:14 AM

Thanks for your help.  We replaced the GBICs on the Aruba controller side (not the HP switch side) with Aruba GBICs and now all is well.

• 8.  RE: Aruba Controller GBIC Requires Re-Seating After Reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Just wanted to follow up on this topic from a few years ago. 

With regards to using the J9150A 10G SR transceiver (HPE branded), the above issue is resolved in ArubaOS_72xx_6.5.4.0_60834 image.

In 2018, look for a common set of transceivers that will be certified for full support in Controllers that are the same transceivers used in the Aruba Switches (8400, 5400R, 3810M, 2930M & F, 2540, 2530 and 2920).  These will be HPE Aruba branded transceivers -- and are fully supported by Aruba.  

=Ed Kurata, PLM Switch Accessories

@User284882 wrote:

Thanks for your help.  We replaced the GBICs on the Aruba controller side (not the HP switch side) with Aruba GBICs and now all is well.