Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency

Posted Nov 09, 2016 07:15 AM

Hi Experts,

My topology using 1 IAP 215, 1 SSID, and the client access to the SSID.

The response time when I tried to ping from the client to local server in my network is around 4-5 ms, the different client reponse time is higher with 7-8 ms. Meanwhile when the same client connect to others vendor APs, the reponse time is lower.

Any one can explain for me about the expected latency of Aruba IAP?

Rgds,

QT Nguyen

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2016 09:00 AM

Latency is a variable that can be introduced by other traffic, interference, client drivers and channel availability.  The difference in latency between 4-5 and 7-8 is not great, at all.

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency

Posted Nov 10, 2016 03:12 AM

Hi CJ,

But the latency 4-5 ms is normal or high?

Have anyway to optimize latency, decrease from 4-5 ms to 1-2 ms?

Rgds,

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 05:03 AM
    4 to 5 is excellent. As soon as you start to add clients onto your network, the latency will go up, as a result. Up to 75 is typically okay in a more crowded environment.

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP 215 Expected Latency
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 09:13 AM

Note as well that if your device is using PS (power save) polling (which we support but other vendors may not), that will create the appearance of more latency in a ping test. You can disable PSP on your client device (if it's a Windows laptop) and then retest to see if it goes down. But 4-5ms is good (I get 2.5-5ms in a near interference free environment).