Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP client beacon interval

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP client beacon interval

Posted Mar 23, 2017 11:18 AM

Hello,

Can you tell me how often the IAP APs communicates with the client devices and sends beacons for location, and is this configurable ? I have IAP 215 model and ALE in Context with device location (with calibration) mode, but it does not show the clients to moving in real time. It shows them but with a bit of delay (several minutes).

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP client beacon interval

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 12:17 PM

Location awareness through BLEenables us to have much better accuracy most of the time—as good as less than threemeters (<3m)—and very low latency—less than one to two seconds (<2sec). Location is calculated using the 3 strongest Beacon signals and is calculated by the device once a second.

The Meridian cloud server relies on the Aruba controller/IAP to initiate contact. The Aruba controller/IAP will take responsibility to poll the
    Meridian server regularly for beacon management updates. Before first discovering the Meridian cloud server, the Aruba controller/IAP tries to poll the server every 10 minutes. Once it discovers the server, it then polls it continuously every 5 minutes. When a change to a beacon is initiated in the cloud editor configuration section, the next time the Aruba controller polls the cloud server, the polling interval is reduced to every one minute until the change is completed. After this, the polling interval reverts to every 5 minutes again.

You are seeing delay in ALE or Meridan App?

Regards,

Pavan

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP client beacon interval

Posted Mar 23, 2017 12:30 PM

I am not sure if IAP 215 support BLE. The software version of the IAPs is 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5_57965. I am using ALE without  Meridan App. For calibration I have used aruba nao logger and upload the info from the app in ALE. The location is based on the wifi signal from the clients. If it is supported and I enable BLE then the clients would have to enable the bluetooth, right?

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP client beacon interval
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 01:32 PM

IAP 215 does not have inbuilt beacons support, you have to purchase USB power beacons.

Aruba beacons, small, low-power wireless transmitters that broadcast Bluetooth Low-Energy (BLE) signals that can be heard and interpreted by iOS and Android devices. For better client location, we need to use device which support BLE and need to enable bluetooth.

I have attached reference guide.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP client beacon interval
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2017 04:48 AM

Thank you , Last question. Can you tell me what should be the normal client latency when using just IAPs and ALE without BLE?