Wireless Access

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Aruba IAP305, guest network not getting DHCP IP

Customer has Avaya 3549 POE switches.  I am new to Avaya switches and not sure if the ports I'm plugged into are configured properly, they were configured by a different contractor guy.  The Aruba 305 units are connected to standard access ports with a standard wifi network and a guest wifi network.  I can connect to the standard wifi network all day long and receive DHCP IP addresses from the DHCP server on the network.  The guest network is configured to use DHCP server on the AP 's themselves.  90% of the time I do not get a DHCP IP from the guest network, especially if I'm walking around trying to roam to a different area where a different AP is installed but with the same networks configured. I can see the client associated with the SSID, but I do not receive an IP address.

thanks in advance

Guru Elite

Re: Aruba IAP305, guest network not getting DHCP IP

- What version of Instant?

- How many APs in your cluster?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

5 AP's so far, on the second floor here in the building.  They all have the latest 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2_58595 build.  It's not the first time I did Aruba.  I don't think I need to configure the switch ports in trunk mode as NAT for the guest IP subnet is done on the AP's.  Getting IP address from the guest network is very spotty but always seems to work when I have just 1 AP.  Once I connect my device to that AP, it's fine, problem seems to occur when I roam to a different side of the building then the device times out getting an IP.

Guru Elite

There are other updated versions of Instant code:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/EntryId/20375/Default.aspx

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

hi, is this supposed to fix the said problem?

By the way, broadcast filtering is disabled and enforce DHCP option is disabled in the network, no difference.

Guru Elite

I cannot see your problem in any release notes.  Is your SSID VLAN configured as "Virtual Controller" assigned?

How are your access points powered and by what?

Broadcast filtering has no effect on DHCP.

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

Sorry about the missing details, the guest vlan is configured with, screen by screen:

1. vlan settings -> Guest

2. vlan -> virtual controller managed / custom with a selected scope.  See attached picture for the DHCP setting.  

3.  security ->  the only thing I've configured here is Enabled on encryption with WPA2 selected and a typed passphrase

4. access ->  I'm allowing all destinations except for the standard wifi network which consists of the production network

Actually, I think DHCP configuration part is quite confusing and I haven't fully undertood this even after reading the manual, it has just worked in the past.1.jpg

Guru Elite

Can you please paste in your access ACL?

Colin Joseph

Occasional Contributor I

here you go.  192.168.41.0 and 192.168.42.0 are production networks that should be separated off the guest network.2.jpg

Guru Elite

How are your devices powered?  APs need good connectivity between them and the VC to provide DHCP properly.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: