Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Local- Master Documentation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 07:24 PM

I tried searching but haven't found any good information reguarding the types of configurations that are master based vs Local based. Can anyone lead me in the right direction on some good documentation that breaks down the difference in configurations between your master and local controller? and what configurations can actually be pushed from the master vs the local?

Thanks in advanced to anyone that can be helpful with this.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 08:07 PM

Have you already reviewed the documents contained here?  (VRD)

http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/

If no, please review.

If yes, and you are looking more granular let me know.  I'll have some other recommendations.

JF

• 3.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 08:17 PM

Yeah ive already seen these doc's do you have any other recommendations?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:10 PM

Sure thing.

Will post some in a bit.

Specifically, what are you looking to clarify ? 

JF

• 5.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:19 PM

thanks i appreciate it, Just need a little better clarification which profiles i can directly apply to only my master and don't have to add my locals. Maybe a document if you have it on a break down as far as AP/group VAPS AAA/SSID profiles AP system profiles.  Which i need to apply to both and which i can only apply to master.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:29 PM

@fraggy2k7 wrote:

thanks i appreciate it, Just need a little better clarification which profiles i can directly apply to only my master and don't have to add my locals. Maybe a document if you have it on a break down as far as AP/group VAPS AAA/SSID profiles AP system profiles.  Which i need to apply to both and which i can only apply to master.

Fraggy2k7,

Everything is Global Except:

- VLANs (must be defined locally)

- IP addresses

- Layer 2/3 information like routing configuration

- Interface Configuration

- SNMP Configuration

- mgmt-server type amp primary (turns on AMON)

- Captive Portal Web Pages (captive portal profile is defined globally, but web pages must be uploaded on each controller).

- Controller Server Certificates must be uploaded on each controller individually

- Local Administrator usernames and passwords (Configuration to Setup a a Radius/TACACS server for authentication is global, however)

- ip cp-redirect-address configuration (tells what ip address on the controller to answer captive portal requests on).

- Local Controller IPSEC keys to connect to the master

- VPN Pools for client connectivity

- Site to Site VPN Configuration

- Spanning Tree Configuration

- Airgroup Configuration

- Controller Timezone and Summertime Settings

- Radius Source Interface Settings

- The local database is global by default, but can be configure to use the local controller

Anybody else have anything to add?  I like Nightshade's sumary of this...

• 7.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:21 PM

Hello

Ill explain you something regarding that...

On the master you configure everything related to the APs configuration, i mean everythign you see in those tabs

Controller.PNG

Everyhthing you configure there you just can configure it on the master controller, and it will be downloaded to the local controllers as read only and you just can modify them on the Master controller...

Now these tabs

Local and Master1.PNG

You are able to configure it on the Master and on the Local controller, you got access to read write to those tabs.. so that means you have to configure the VLANS on each controller i mean the master and also on the locals, also the ports configuration the trunkings, vlan poolings link aggregations and so on...

In summary anything related to the APs are configured centrally on the master and pushed to the local controllers

The networking part i mean vlans, ip addressing, and that kind of thing you have to configure it on local and master as well...

If for some reason the master controller dies, then you will be not able to modify anything related to the APS, i mean SSIDs, or authentication  for example... but you will continue working with the APS that are terminating ont he local controller...until you get your master back again.

Remenber Local controllers are read only for APs configuration! but are Read Write for Networking configuration?

What i just said is a super summery

You should take the class for the ACMP... there you will get more detailed info regarding that...

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Carlos

• 8.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:22 PM

Ah yeah  when you on a master local enviroment never forget to save configuration i mean NEVER! :) otherwise you will have one config in the master and other config on the local controllers.

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:25 PM

Great summary Carlos.

Definately, 'write mem' is your friend in a Master--Local topology. ;)

JF

• 10.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:30 PM

Well its true... everytime im giving a small training to clients i repeat them like 100 times on the classs save config!

I got enough of client just doing apply and then having issues because they dont save configuration!  Not that i complain too much as well they still paying for the engineering hour... but still... thats wanting to give your money away :P

Cheers

Carlos

• 11.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:31 PM

There comes Collin to the rescue! :)

• 12.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Sep 30, 2013 09:49 PM

thanks guys 

• 13.  RE: Aruba Local- Master Documentation

Posted Oct 02, 2013 05:42 AM

Master Controller’s primary responsibilities are All profile configurations, Adaptive Radio Management (ARM), IDS – location tracking
    Local Controller’s primary responsibilities are AP termination (GRE tunnel from AP to Controller), User traffic, Apply firewall rules, VLAN tagging, policy enforcement