Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

Posted Apr 09, 2016 08:01 AM

Hello,

We're proposing IAP-210 series to a customer, which can be operated as "Instant" mode without controller.

I want to know benefits of implementing MC 7200 (Only 1 Level, not Master/Local controllers), is there any benefits regarding (Features/Dimensioning)?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2016 09:03 AM

On the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/controllers/ it says "Mobility Controllers offer centralized network engineering, IP services and policy controls, while simplifying the integration of security and enterprise app platforms."

For some people, having configuration, ip sevices and policy controls centralized is important, and that is why they get a controller.  Others are happy to have a distributed system where access points can be trunked directly to the infrastructure, and that is why they get IAPs, instead.

• 3.  RE: Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

Posted Apr 09, 2016 09:13 AM

Thanks, but are there any other advantages? For example Instant AP will be considred as 2 AP for NMS POV (The real AP & the Logical Controller), so that will affect NMS dimensioning & performance, and so on..

I'm looking to gather all advantages of having the MC 7200 over going controllerless.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

Posted Apr 09, 2016 09:20 AM
    I think it depends on what the customers is trying to accomplish .

And based on those requirements ( client density , amount of APs and use cases ) then look at the limitations you may have with an instant deployment.

Sent from Outlook for iPhone

• 5.  RE: Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2016 09:33 AM
    I would work with your Aruba or Partner SE to design a solution. Some of the answers really depend on your network.

Sent from Nine<>

• 6.  RE: Aruba MC 7200 Benifits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2016 09:25 AM

@A.KAMAL wrote:

Thanks, but are there any other advantages? For example Instant AP will be considred as 2 AP for NMS POV (The real AP & the Logical Controller), so that will affect NMS dimensioning & performance, and so on..

I'm looking to gather all advantages of having the MC 7200 over going controllerless.

Thanks.

If your customer has 100 access points at a single site, using a MC 7200 will allow them to configure a single network port to a layer 3 switch to configure all the networks that flow in and out of the system.  Using an IAP network, that would require configuring 100 ports.  Again, choosing a 7200 would be centralized control.

If for the same 100 access points, the customer has 10 sites, it would not be cost or management effective to have a controller at 10 sites; they would just put 10 access points at each site.

IAPs are more for distributed environments and MC is for more centralized environments.