Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Aruba OS 8.2 - IP conflict on 0.0.0.0

Hello,

Ever since we upgraded our Aruba wireless controllers to OS 8.2 from 6.5, we have been getting complaints of IP conflicts from our wired windows users on the vlans that we tag to our controllers to (We only tag to a few wired vlans, so it's pretty obvious).  The IP listed as a conflict is 0.0.0.0 on the windows computers, and their logs point back to the MAC address of our controllers.  Is this a known issue, or maybe we forgot to check a box somewhere to prevent this on our controllers?

Controllers:

Count: 2

Model 7210

Redundancy is setup as a cluster

ArubaOS: 8.2.0.2

AP count: 400~ with a mix of 325s and 225s

Computers:

Windows 7 64Bit

Thanks

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Aruba OS 8.2 - IP conflict on 0.0.0.0

Having the exact same issue I've just opened a TAC case with Aruba. Will let you know if I learn something.

New Contributor

I'm curious... Do either of you have the controller IP address on the same VLAN that the users are connected to? Thanks, Tim
Occasional Contributor I

No, the controller address is in VLAN 3660 and the conflict appeared in VLAN 1160. The controller does NOT have any address in VLAN 1160 :)

Just wondering, can the problem be the same as one described here?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/8021x/116529-problemsolution-product-00.html

New Contributor

Our situation is the following:

Deployed new controllers running 8.2 in order to replace our existing controllers that are older hardware and max out at 6.4.

Currently running the new controllers in parallel for testing, and all of our existing AP's and users still connect to the OLD controllers running 6.4.

Finally caught this happening to a user and it turns out that the duplicate IP for 0.0.0.0 was claimed by the MAC Address of one of the NEW controllers (they are on the same subnet as the controllers running 6.4)

I don't think it's related to the issue in the Cisco doc, as we have 2 sites with a Cisco Core, and one with an Avaya Core and the same behavior happens at both.

Thanks,

Tim

Occasional Contributor I

Yes, I had IP addresses assigned to the VLANs.  Currently I have the VLANS untagged because of the issue.

One thing to note, we are running wired Dot1X on our access switches.

Occasional Contributor I

I got it solved. The problem is the same as described in the Cisco paper - the controllers send out arp probes from IP address 0.0.0.0 and sometimes windows machines evaluate this a an address conflict.

After a couple of emails with TAC I was advised to turn off openflow. Apparently when you turn it off the issues disappear - no more arp probes with IP 0.0.0.0 and I haven't got an incident with duplicate adresses for a while now.

Occasional Contributor I

And one more piece of information for those who want to use Openflow with AOS 8 - there should be a workaround around this in 8.3.0.0.

New Contributor

Hi knizmi1,

Did you enable openflow or was it on by default?  Running into the same issue.  Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor I

documentation says it is disabled by default:

For OpenFlow to be functional in a network, you must enable SDN Controller on the Mobility Master and OpenFlow agent on the required Managed devices. By default, OpenFlow is disabled on Mobility Master as well as the managed devices.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: