Wireless Access

Contributor I

Re: Aruba OS 8 on VMware

I've requested that from our VM team and will see what they come up with.

Contributor I

Hi, we're not entirely sure what you're asking us to do here....

We don't use vlan1 anywhere on our network. The MM vm is told it has an access port, which it does on the appropriate vlan for our infrastructure.

What I'm not clear on is irrespective of whether the VM can successfully communicate with the rest of the world, it shouldn't fail to interract with the virtual NIC, which it appears to, and it shouldn't kernel panic.

I'm trying to arrange a screen share session with TAC, along with someone from our VM team. It's starting to feel like the OS8 VMs are not compatible with VMware 6,  but I don't have enough information to be certain of that.

Highlighted
MVP

Get the screenshare session setup with TAC. 8.0 MM and VMC work fine on ESX 6 (it's what I'm running on now). 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Contributor I

Ok, thanks that's good to know. Got a session booked for Wednesday. 

Contributor I

[ Edited ]

So.... It looks like the issue is related to the vNetwork Distributed Switch. If we configure the VM with a vNetwork standard switch then we have no problem. We can kill the MM VM by switching it to our infrastructure standard of the vDS, almost immediately kernel panics. 

My guess is it's something to do with the driver for the paravirtualised interface. Could also be a VMware bug, but we're not in a position to do any further testing of this.

For now I've got things running using an unstable dev server, which isn't ideal, but at least we can start playing with OS 8, and the issue we've found is nicely reproducable (at least on our servers).

Contributor I

Some feedback to close this off.... 

The Mobility Master VM requires an MTU of 1500, and can't cope with jumbo frames.

Our vmware environment's distributed switch has a global MTU of 9000. Even though the port group we used for the MM was limited to an MTU of 1500 the MM driver doesn't like it and kernel panics. This has been acknowledged by TAC and passed on to development. 

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: