Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

Posted May 29, 2014 07:37 AM

How many users can an Aruba RAP-3 can accomodate?

• 2.  RE: Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 07:46 AM

On a per SSID basis, you can configure the limit of users.  By default, it is set to 64.  You can increase this to 256.

The association ID (AID) in 802.11 is only 8-bits wide. That’s why there is an upper limit of 256. The 257th would be denied.

• 3.  RE: Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

Posted May 29, 2014 07:53 AM

Well the reason why I asked this question because there is a site that I am currently working on, there are two types of users involved, one is the corporate users that will use the wireless and wired and the other one are the guest users. I'm running 30mbps of ADSL and this RAP should have a good connection going back to the remote controller in our main office. However the design is two switches will connect to the RAP port 1 and 2. Port 1 will connect to the corporate users switch whilst port 2 will connect to the guest user switch. Will there be any issue?

• 4.  RE: Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2014 08:04 AM

I think I would need to know a bit more about this deployment.  The "user" limits are for users that are authenticated or "untrusted" on our system.  IF those wired ports are set to "trusted" in your wired port profiles, then we are not logging a user off the wired ports as there is no AAA involved and then you are bound by the hardware throughput specs of the RAP.  

Also, the separation of guest and corp users should be tested and vetted fully.

• 5.  RE: Aruba RAP-3 | Maximum user connection

Posted May 29, 2014 08:19 AM

There are 3 main profiles that we currently use depending on what the design is (corp-wired, guest-wired and air monitor). All the authentication of users is provided from the CPPM servers.

So the separation of guest-wired profile and, corp-wired profile can be done on one of the 2 ports except for the part 0 which is used for uplink to the internet. Is that what you're trying to say?