Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Roaming between Master/local controller

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Roaming between Master/local controller

Posted Feb 19, 2018 06:29 AM

Hello, 

I'm looking for a document wich explain how roaming beetween Master/ local controller works.

Actually, I'm using two 7210 controllers in the same bulding with active/active redundancy (master/local). 

One in two floors, AP terminate on Master and one in two floors AP terminate  on Local controller.  To make this possible I configured two VRRP instance and two AP system profil. AP from impair floor terminate its GRE tunnel in VRRP 1 and AP from pair floor go to VRRP 2. 

So I would be sur there will not be any trouble if a client will roam from master controller to local controller. 

Thank you in advanced for your help. 

Rémy

• 2.  RE: Aruba Roaming between Master/local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2018 07:25 AM

You just would need to make sure that the client vlan is the same layer 2 subnet on both controllers.  

• 3.  RE: Aruba Roaming between Master/local controller

Posted Feb 19, 2018 07:51 AM

Hello Joseph, 

Of course on the both controller the client VLAN is the same. 

Is there any documentation about roaming from one controller to another existing? I would like to deepen my knowledge on this topic. 

Best regards, 

Rémy

• 4.  RE: Aruba Roaming between Master/local controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2018 07:59 AM

One client roaming from one controller to the other would be considered a new client by the destination controller.  It is actually encouraged to minimize the possibility of clients roaming betweeen controllers because troubleshooting is that much more difficult.  Roaming between controllers should be the exception, not the rule.

I am not aware of any documentation about advice about roaming between controllers.  Maybe others can lend some anecdotal comments.