Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Shared LIC

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 13, 2014 02:39 PM

If we have only  2 Controllers acting as Master/Backup Via VRRP   , License can be shared between them , is this Right ?

For example , to terminate 100 AP on those Controllers  we need only 100 LIC ,  then In case of failure of mater   , the backup will take over & will have the full 100 LIC , Right ?

• 2.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 13, 2014 02:44 PM

You cannot share licenses across controllers if you're not using AOS 6.3.

< 6.3 you will need licenses for the controller terminating the APs and at least 1 AP and 1 PEf license on the master controller.

If you're doing active/backup, then you need the same amount of licenses for both

I believe with 6.3 License pooling is now available but I am not 100% sure how that works currently.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 13, 2014 02:46 PM

You should be able to shared Licenses across two controllers using Centralize Licensing .

And like pmonardo said you need AOS 6.3 in order to accomplish this.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 14, 2014 03:45 AM

i understood , there is a limitation

if Master controller is down , then backup rebooted , what will happend that backup will come up with no licenses ???

• 5.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 14, 2014 08:37 AM

I have tested the Master going down scenario (the backup keeps the licenses for 30 days) but I have not tested the Master backup rebooting  while the Master still down (if will still hold the licenses)...that's a good and valid question....

• 6.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 25, 2014 05:26 AM

and the answer seems to be the backup will then loose it licenses, something that makes this quite a dangerous feature.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/What-are-the-limitations-related-to-centralized-licensing-on-AOS-version-6-3-0-0

not sure how to work around that at the moment, probably dont use a backup license server for now.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Shared LIC

Posted Feb 13, 2014 02:44 PM

That's correct.