Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Aruba Shared LIC

If we have only  2 Controllers acting as Master/Backup Via VRRP   , License can be shared between them , is this Right ?

For example , to terminate 100 AP on those Controllers  we need only 100 LIC ,  then In case of failure of mater   , the backup will take over & will have the full 100 LIC , Right ?

MVP

Re: Aruba Shared LIC

You cannot share licenses across controllers if you're not using AOS 6.3.

< 6.3 you will need licenses for the controller terminating the APs and at least 1 AP and 1 PEf license on the master controller.

If you're doing active/backup, then you need the same amount of licenses for both

I believe with 6.3 License pooling is now available but I am not 100% sure how that works currently.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

That's correct.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

You should be able to shared Licenses across two controllers using Centralize Licensing .

And like pmonardo said you need AOS 6.3 in order to accomplish this.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Frequent Contributor II

i understood , there is a limitation

if Master controller is down , then backup rebooted , what will happend that backup will come up with no licenses ???

MVP

[ Edited ]

I have tested the Master going down scenario (the backup keeps the licenses for 30 days) but I have not tested the Master backup rebooting  while the Master still down (if will still hold the licenses)...that's a good and valid question....

Thank you

Victor Fabian
MVP

and the answer seems to be the backup will then loose it licenses, something that makes this quite a dangerous feature.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/What-are-the-limitations-related-to-centralized-licensing-on-AOS-version-6-3-0-0

not sure how to work around that at the moment, probably dont use a backup license server for now.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: