Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 13, 2016 06:18 PM

Hello everyone.

I am experiencing a similar issue, however bandwidth contracts are not in place. We are however connecting to the local controller through a branch office VPN tunnel. The wireless connection is horrible, however, the ethernet connection works fine. Could this be the manner in which the ap sends data back to the controller? I am running aruba os 6.4.2.14 with 225 AP's. This is happening at other remote offices as well.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 06:54 PM

How long has this been happening?

Do you have "Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast" enabled on all of your virtual APs?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 13, 2016 07:47 PM

Thanks for your quick response Curtis. Yes, Drop Broadcast and unknown multicast option is checked on the Master controller.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 08:38 PM

Is it checked for all Virtual APs?  How many SSIDs are you broadcasting?

• 5.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 13, 2016 08:48 PM

We are currently utilizing three VAP's. Two of which have the drop broadcast and unknown multicast option checked and are certainly having the issue. The other, I have not been able to test. The issue (I think) lies within the default provisioning of the AP's themselves. This is fine where all AP's are directly connected to same subnet as the controller (by either a fiber circuit or in same physical location as controllers) but at the remote sites, where they are "tunneled" back to our main office, we see the severe degregation in network performance. In one speed test today, I had 0mbps down and .2 up...but at sites that are on the same local network, anywhere from 50-85 mbps. It leads me to believe the AP's are either not provisioned properly, or that the payload is encrypted via IPSEC at the AP, then sent through another IPSEC tunnel back to the controller and that is where the issue lies.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 10:46 PM

I would consider turning on "Drop" on the third Virtual AP as well.

Are the APS configured as Remote APS, or regular Campus APS?

What is the wan technology being used?  Serialization delays, MTU and general WAN instability can contribute to performance degradation when all traffic is tunneled back to the controller.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 14, 2016 09:25 AM

From what I can tell, the AP's are configured identically across all of the sites. This particular sites WAN architecture is simply a broadband internet connection with a VPN tunnel back to our main office VPN Firewall/Router. It looks like on the "remote" controller (in remote, it is still located in same office as the "local" controller but used for remote sites) has the MTU set at 1200. The ap's are set to tunnel. Are you suggesting increasing the MTU?

• 8.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 14, 2016 10:10 AM

So Edit from my previous post. The MTU is set to 1500.

• 9.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2016 10:30 AM

Is this new, or has it always been happening?

What is the bandwidth between both sites and what devices create the VPN tunnel?

• 10.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 14, 2016 11:16 AM

This is something that has always happened with our remote sites not directly connected with a fiber circuit. the bandwidth is 50/10 and a juniper VPN router creates the tunnel back to the main office.

• 11.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2016 12:33 PM

How long have you had remote sites on wireless?

• 12.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

Posted Oct 14, 2016 12:35 PM

They've been on wireless since the early 2000's. However, all of the sites were previously on CISCO AP's with no issues. This only started happening upon switching to the Arubas and Aruba WLC.

• 13.  RE: Aruba Wireless Network over a site to site VPN very slow

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 14, 2016 12:57 PM

Do you know who installed the Aruba System?  You could start by asking them why the performance change..

There are quite a few things that could be at play here, but I don't have enough information to know why you are having performance issues.  The person who installed the system, however, might be able to shed some light on it.