Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba controller not saving any settings

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:23 AM

Today I noticed when I went to create a new test network to toy around with some settings, the controller won't save anything that I push to it from the WLAN wizard. Also, it will not even retain the RADIUS server I configured when setting up the WLAN. How can I go about fixing this?

ArubaOS version: 5.0.3.1

Web browser: Mozilla Firefox 25.0.1

Please let me know if you need any more information

• 2.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:29 AM

There's a final finish button on the summary page that is often missed. Did you click that?

• 3.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:30 AM

Tim,

Thanks for the fast reply. I always make sure I hit that final Finish button, wait and see if it works, then save configuration or remove configuration if it doesn't work.

Ryan

• 4.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:38 AM

If you use the ganular setup/configuration options in the GUI, rather than a wizard, does that work?

I have to say personally, I NEVER use the wizards...

• 5.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to add a RADIUS server not using the wizard and it doesn't show up in the wizard when I choose to use WPA2-Enterprise.

Any other thoughts or possibilities?

Ryan

• 6.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 10:54 AM

This is strange.

Are you familiar with the CLI?

I would suggest SSH/Telnet to the controller, enter "enable" mode (i.e. type enable and enter your secret), then type "conf t".

Try that, and see if you get as far as the configuration prompt. You'll know you're in it when you see it.

Then create a server... example...

aaa authentication-server radius "my-server"

host <IP-ADDRESS-HERE>

key <SECRET_HERE>

!

type exit until back at the enable prompt (denoted with a hash).

Then type "write mem".

Then try again to see if the server exists in the config. You can do a "show run" in the CLI if liked.

• 7.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 11:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately after following exactly what you typed, it still didn't appear in the wizard.

I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. I really hope someone can tell me I'm wrong.

Ryan

• 8.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 10, 2013 11:18 AM

Let's just confirm one thing.

If you entered it ok in the CLI, does it show up if you do a "show run"?

If it does, but it doesn't in the Wizard, I'm thinking it's a browser bug/compatibility issue?

Can you try a different browser?

• 9.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 12:25 PM

First, sorry about the wait. Had to step away for a few minutes.

Second, I'm not seeing the server configured anywhere when I enter "show run" in PuTTY (terminal emulator).

Lastly, my only thought now is that there may be something wrong with the hardware inside.

Let me know what you think, please.

EDIT--------

Now I see the server configured in the CLI. I know it's not Firefox because I tried IE (against my better judgment) and I couldn't get past the login screen. Trying in Google Chrome as I type...

Ryan

• 10.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 12:33 PM

Excellent!! You were spot on with the browser idea! I thought it couldn't be that since I tried different browsers. I knew it previously worked in Chrome, so I gave that a try.

Thank you so much for all your help! I guess I'm switching back to Chrome. :-)

Ryan

• 11.  RE: Aruba controller not saving any settings

Posted Dec 10, 2013 02:02 PM

No problem Ryan.

These days, it's always something of a moving target. Browsers tend to get updated almost like shifting sands. Also, other programs (an endless list) seem to affect them.

I tend to have at least 3 different ones handy at all times.

As the controller code is a bit old, it's probably a bit redundant logging a TAC case. You'd almost certainly have to upgrade first. Or, just stick with Chrome as a workaround and try not to update it?