Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba controller

Posted Jun 14, 2017 04:35 AM

We have a 3400 controller with 52 access points. We are in the process of extending our wifi and it means adding 25 more access points. As our controller is capable only up to 64 we will have to purchase one more controller. Can you please let advice on below if it is possible,

1. Buy a controller with 32 Ap capacity and then combine it with 3400 controller to form one wifi network.

2. Migrate the licences and AP from existing controller to a new controller eg:7205 ? 

Please advice,

• 2.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:47 AM
    Personally I would got for option 2 as Aruba have dropped support for the 3400 controller at AOS version 6.4.

• 3.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 14, 2017 06:19 AM
    Is it possible for the existing Ap licence (105 series) to be migrated from
    3400 to 7205 ? Or do I have to purchase extra licence for it?

Regards,
    Mohamad
    --
    Sent from iPhone

• 4.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 14, 2017 11:35 AM
    Yes , if those are not built-in licenses .
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-identify-if-there-is-a-built-in-license-present-on-the/ta-p/239420

You can go the HPE portal and perform a transfer to a new platform

• 5.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 15, 2017 12:25 AM

Thanks. So if I buy Aruba 7010  controller and add 22 numbers of 207-Ap's to it then can I  link it to our existing 3400 controller with 52 numbers of 105-AP's ?

My aim is to keep both the controllers and mange both centrally as one controller . Please let me know if it is possible otherwise I will have to look for 7205 controller and move all the Ap's to it.

• 6.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 15, 2017 04:02 AM
    Your 3400 controller only supports up to ArubaOS 6.4.x but the AP207 requires ArubaOS 6.5.1.0 so you will not be able to "manage both centrally as one controller".

• 7.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 15, 2017 04:14 AM

Thanks James & Zalion

So the only option for me now is ,

a. Get a 7205 controller and add all the 105 AP's (including licence) from the 3400 and then add the new 207 Ap's and its licences. Then get rid of 3400.

or

b. Get a 7010 with new 207 ap's and run both controller seperately.

Am i right?  Many thanks for all your help.

• 8.  RE: Aruba controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 05:18 AM

Hi, it would depend on what you are hoping to achieve as the final goal. The licenses are tied to the controller. So you can't for example move the licenses from the 3400 to a 7xxx series controller. A 72xx series controller will far support the capacity of a 3400 controller so you will have future room for growth.

Given that we don't know your environment, there is multiple reasons as too why running two deployments within the same topology will cause issues. 

• 9.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 15, 2017 05:25 AM

Dear Zallion,Thanks,

We need to add 22 more AP's to cover the new building which we have. And our existing controller has 52 Ap's (105) . I am looking for an option to accomodate the new 22 Ap's in to our network so that for eg: we have mac authentication for one of SSID and if we have two controller we will have to add the mac in both the controllers.

So my goal is to add 22 new AP's in most cost efficient and easily managable way. 

• 10.  RE: Aruba controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 15, 2017 04:09 AM

Hi, the issue you will have is firmware support. The 3400 controller will support a maximum firmware version of ArubaOS 6.4.x. and the AP207 need a minimum firmware of ArubaOS 6.5.1.0 to terminate on a controller.

• 11.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 16, 2017 11:00 PM
      |   view attached

I've a question regarding the conversion from IAP aruba instant AP to be managed by a mobility controller ,

I've 10 IAP-207 APs running on aruba-os 6.5.2.0 , i can manage them from a webpage through the ip of the master AP , automatically elected

The 10 APs are connected to Aruba/HP 2920 switch , each port of the switch which is connected to an AP is tagged in vlan 5 , 10 , these vlans are also created on the APs each vlan is for specific SSID wireless network .

And on the switch  each vlan has an uplink port "untagged" to the firewall lan ports .

Now i will deploy the "aruba controller 7010" to manage these APs , the question here is how the physical connection between the APs , the controller and  the switch be like ?

, also is there a software required for the controller or it will be managed through a webpage , and how i can

create 2 wireless networks on the controller each with a separate  uplink to the firewall as each port of the 2 firewall lan ports is the DHCP server for each vlan,

Also can i use the lan ports on the controller as uplinks to the firewall to avoid using the standard uplinks 1000base-x ports ?

Attachment(s)

txt
    hpswconfig.txt   849 B 1 version

• 12.  RE: Aruba controller

Posted Jun 16, 2017 11:01 PM

I've a question regarding the conversion from IAP aruba instant AP to be managed by a mobility controller ,

I've 10 IAP-207 APs running on aruba-os 6.5.2.0 , i can manage them from a webpage through the ip of the master AP , automatically elected

The 10 APs are connected to Aruba/HP 2920 switch , each port of the switch which is connected to an AP is tagged in vlan 5 , 10 , these vlans are also created on the APs each vlan is for specific SSID wireless network .

And on the switch  each vlan has an uplink port "untagged" to the firewall lan ports .

Now i will deploy the "aruba controller 7010" to manage these APs , the question here is how the physical connection between the APs , the controller and  the switch be like ?

, also is there a software required for the controller or it will be managed through a webpage , and how i can

create 2 wireless networks on the controller each with a separate  uplink to the firewall as each port of the 2 firewall lan ports is the DHCP server for each vlan,

Also can i use the lan ports on the controller as uplinks to the firewall to avoid using the standard uplinks 1000base-x ports ?