Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Sep 30, 2012 06:14 AM

Hello team, i have Aruba configured already few years ago with Windows 2003 AD, CA and IAS server on the same box. I would like to upgrade now my AD to Windows 2008 R2 along with CA and NPS.

can you please advise if we need to make changes on the Aruba side? and is Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS (IAS) is supported?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Sep 30, 2012 11:17 AM

Hey,

What is the AOS that your controller is running?

for AOS 6.1 yes, Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS are supported. Although not 100% sure but as long as your current controller support WinServ 2003 then it shall support WinServ 2008.

if you will use same IP address on server and same PSK between MC and WinServ. Then you do not have to change MC configuration.

you can wait to get reply from other people with more hands on AD migration exp.

:)

• 3.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 30, 2012 11:33 PM

@omersiddiqui wrote:

Hello team, i have Aruba configured already few years ago with Windows 2003 AD, CA and IAS server on the same box. I would like to upgrade now my AD to Windows 2008 R2 along with CA and NPS.

can you please advise if we need to make changes on the Aruba side? and is Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS (IAS) is supported?

Thanks in advance.

Like Abi said, if you simply upgrade the server, you should have to change nothing.

• 4.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Oct 01, 2012 05:03 AM

Thanks team for your reply.

We have Aurba Controller 6000 with OS version 3.3.1.10

Please advise if anyone has used it with Windows Server 2008 R2.

Also is there a way i can define a test SSID with test AD,NPS environment that i created.

• 5.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2012 05:44 AM

@omersiddiqui wrote:

Thanks team for your reply.

We have Aurba Controller 6000 with OS version 3.3.1.10

Please advise if anyone has used it with Windows Server 2008 R2.

Also is there a way i can define a test SSID with test AD,NPS environment that i created.

The protocol (Radius) in ArubaOS 3.3.1.10 is a standard and the handling of that protocol has not changed.  There are companies on ArubaOS 3.3.x that use Windows Server 2008 R2 and it still works.

If you use the instructions in the forum here on how to configure a Windows 2008 NPS server, you can add that server to your Aruba Controller and use the AAA test server function in the Diagnostics menu of the Aruba Controller to test it.

• 6.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Oct 01, 2012 06:08 AM

Thansk for the prompt reply. please advise the link for setting up NPS server, as I couldnt find it in this forum.

• 7.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

• 8.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Oct 01, 2012 06:42 AM

Many thanks. I will review and post if anything further is needed.

However for my understanding, I would like to know the role of CA, as we have just one root CA in current environment and all PCs have root certificate installed, however I dont see this root certificate in Aruba configuration? and client connects fine even if CA services is OFF?

• 9.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2012 06:52 AM

The configuration of certificates is strictly between the client and the server.  No configuration is needed on the Aruba controller, because is has the role of the authenticator, which simply passes the radius messages back and forth.  This is why upgrading the OS on the Aruba controller has little effect on radius.

• 10.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Oct 08, 2012 08:46 AM

Hi,

How can i change one wireless configuration on Aruba to use only "Computer authentication" instead of username and password?

Thanks in advance,

Omer

• 11.  RE: Aruba with Windows 2008 R2 AD and NPS

Posted Oct 08, 2012 08:50 AM

Set the client to use only machine authentication.  The Aruba gear will authenticate whatever credentials the client sends it, assuming your NPS server passes back an accept message.