Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

ArubaOS 8.0.1 VMC Standalone, DHCP problem.

Hi,

I am having problem with VMC on vmware. Clients can't get IP address from DHCP but if I give them static IP addesses it works.

Long story: I converted one of our IAP-135 to CAP and deployed WMC on vmware to evaluate new ArubaOS 8. I created a test WLAN with 802.1x authentication. I use builtin "authenticated" role and vlan 20 for this test WLAN. Everything seems to work except dhcp. I use our corporate dhcp server. I use IP helper on the router for vlan 20.

I did packet capture on dhcp server. I can see that DHCP DISCOVER packets reach to dhcp server from routers relay ip and dhcp server sents DHCP OFFER packets back to router. I also hooked a VM to same port group on vswitch that VMC uses and do packet capture on it. So I see DHCP OFFER packets reach back to VMC. But If I do packet capture on the client I don't see any OFFER packet. I also did a packet capture on controller with "packet-capture datapath wifi-client <mac adress> " and there is no OFFER packets on this capture too.

So It seems that the dhcp server reply packets reach to VMC but not reach to clients. What should be the problem?

Thanks

Rahman

Aruba Employee

Re: ArubaOS 8.0.1 VMC Standalone, DHCP problem.

the vSwitch the VMC is on has promiscuous mode enabled? Might try to enabled forged transmits as well (would usually only be needed if VRRP were in use, but try anyway). 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Occasional Contributor I

Sure, promiscuous mode is enabled with the other two options. How can I debug it further? It is a pity that I can not do a packet capture on the physical interface (GigabitEthernet 0/0/1) of the VMC. VMC also says it does not support port mirroring (monitoring). So I see the vSwitch port group receives the dhcp server reply but I can not see what does the controller do with that packet.

Thanks,

Rahman

Highlighted
Aruba Employee

You can try to do an internal packet capture, and then pull the flashbackup and look at the pcap. Check the CLI and user guide

(HH-VMC1) #packet-capture

controlpath             Enable controlpath capture. Captured packets are stored

in /var/log/oslog/filter.pcap. Only capture to

local-filesystem is supported.

copy-to-flash           Copy captured packets to flash.

datapath                Enable datapath capture. Captured packets are stored in

/var/log/oslog/datapath.pcap or mirrored out of the

controller.

destination             Configure capture destination.

reset-pcap              Delete old pcap files and restart active capture.

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

#packet-capture controlpath udp all

#packet-capture copy-to-flash

Then on web interface I created flashbackup.tar.gz and copied it to my pc with scp. But I can't find any pcap files in it.

Aruba Employee

I will try to replicate and see if I get any pecap files in (havne't tried with 8.x). You can open a TAC case or reach out to your local Aruba SE if you aren't getting headway made. I've done dozens of VMC deployments, and no network issues, so there's likely something in the datapath, just hard to know where without getting hands on.

Jerrod Howard
Occasional Contributor I

Well, local SE does not provide any support. They say ArubaOS 8 is still not GA and we should wait or consider buying HW Controllers.

I am also not very satisfied with the HPe TAC support. I opened two cases just to obtain Eval keys for VMC. One of the TAC technician insisted that I need to deploy virtual MM as VMC can't run in standalone mode and can't terminate APs on VMC wthout MM. Which I learned by my self that this is wrong and VMC can terminate APs in standalone mode.

I opened a new HPe TAC support case today. Hope I get the help I need this time.

Thanks for your helps.

Rahman

Occasional Contributor I

Hi ,

Today I had a remote session with HPe TAC. We find the problem. If the vSwitch of Vmware has more than one physical nic for redundancy (be it active-active or active-standby) VMC trunking mode or access mode somehow breaks DHCP for clients. If ıt has only one physical nic everything works as expected.

The support engineer captured control-path traffic and get all the logs for inspection. Can you test it to see if you can reproduce it? It seems an ArubaOs bug to me but we will see.

Thanks,

Rahman

Aruba Employee

I don't currently have a dual nic ESX setup, but if they find an issue or unexpected behavior, they should open a Bug and will fiel with engineering. If you want you can PM me your TAC Case ID. 

Jerrod Howard