Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

ArubaOS 8: MM vs 7200 as master

i just found out that 72xx controller can act as master controller in ArubaOS 8 which i thought the master capability was removed and completely replaced by MM.

i could not find any good document comparing MM vs 7200 master mode even in the VRD.

can anyone point me somewhere this issue being explained?

Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Frequent Contributor I

Re: ArubaOS 8: MM vs 7200 as master

Hi,

a 7200 can be a master, however you can not terminate AP's on it. you also lose the ability for some other functions that only the MM can provide. 

you need the MM if you want;

- allways on network during controller failure

- automated rf with AirMatch

- in-service software upgrade

- jabber support

- centralised visability

ACCP ACMP CWDP CWSP
Regular Contributor I

so basically, 7200 master is just a MM with minimized feature?

Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Guru Elite

With the 7000 as master in ArubaOS 8.0 (non-MM deployment):

- The master controller must be a 7030 or above

- Access points cannot terminate on the master (it takes the role of the MM, which also does not terminate access points)

- Airmatch is not supported

- Monitoring of things like UCC, Airgroup and Clients is individual to each controller (in an MM deployment it is centralized)

- Controller clustering (hitless failover) is not supported

- No Loadable Service Modules (you cannot upgrade parts of ArubaOS, you must upgrade all of it at one time)

- All controllers must have the same version (in an MM deployment this is not a requirement).

- Centralized Licensing does not support Licensing Pools if you use a 7000 controller as the master in 8.x

Long story short, go the MM route for the best scalability, performance and flexibility..

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Regular Contributor I

awesome. this clears it all.

Ricky E. Lee
CWNA | ACMP | ACCP
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: