Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS Version

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS Version

Posted Apr 04, 2012 05:59 PM

I know there are different ArubaOS tracks, 3.x, 5.x & 6.x.  But I don't know what the differences are and what each offers over the other.  Currently, we are on the 3.x track and looking to upgrade to 6.x for the AirGroup features, but don't want to loose any features that may only be in 3.x.  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS Version

Posted Apr 04, 2012 06:19 PM

6.x is a super set of the previous AOS releases (3 and 5)... you won't  "Lose" anything that 3.x had/has that I can think of by upgrading....and you gain a lot more.

JF

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS Version

Posted Apr 04, 2012 06:24 PM

You'd be better posting snapshots of your config so we can see what's enabled (not default stuff). That way, we'll know for sure.

The only thing that you would "lose" potentially is old fashioned AP load balancing. From a purist RF engineering perspective, it's not as good as the newer functions that replace it (which are technically better), but the fact is I have seen good results with it in very specific circumstances (schools with single radio APs and old laptops). If you are relying on it, you might need to know this. I have in fact seen some customers deliberately stay on old codes for this reason even though it's not supported officially anymore.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS Version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2012 01:32 AM

@The.racking.monkey wrote:

You'd be better posting snapshots of your config so we can see what's enabled (not default stuff). That way, we'll know for sure.

The only thing that you would "lose" potentially is old fashioned AP load balancing. From a purist RF engineering perspective, it's not as good as the newer functions that replace it (which are technically better), but the fact is I have seen good results with it in very specific circumstances (schools with single radio APs and old laptops). If you are relying on it, you might need to know this. I have in fact seen some customers deliberately stay on old codes for this reason even though it's not supported officially anymore.

Old fasioned AP load balancing did not take the band of an ap into account so the more modern version is more inteligent.

The 6.x code train does not support the 200, 800, 2400, SC-I, or SC-II controllers is probably the biggest change I can think of.

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS Version

Posted Apr 05, 2012 02:29 PM

I actually mixed up my version.  We are currently on 5.x, not 3.x.  Are there any features missing between 5.x and 6.x? Thanks.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS Version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2012 03:10 PM

@TimS wrote:

I actually mixed up my version.  We are currently on 5.x, not 3.x.  Are there any features missing between 5.x and 6.x? Thanks.

Okay.  My previous statement is the same.