Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools

Posted Mar 25, 2014 08:50 PM

Good evening

I was wondering if there was anyway to assign DHCP reservations on a VLAN pool? We have a VAP with multiple /24 subnets, is there anyway to assign create a DHCP reservation in the server and ensure the IP is picked up by the client? We can do DHCP reservations with one subnet easily, but once you had a second subnet and start creating a pool, it's hit or miss. Is our only hope to enlarge the subnet? 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 08:51 PM

You would need to create the reservation in each subnet (which is not feasible). 

• 3.  RE: Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools

Posted Mar 25, 2014 10:33 PM

Thank you Mr. Cappalli

It was the answer I was afraid of getting, alas I was holding out hope there could be a way! Oh well, time to supernet some networks away!

• 4.  RE: Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 10:34 PM

The only other way would be to do some logic in your RADIUS server to ensure that certain devices always get a specific VLAN.

Example:

If AD group = students, return Aruba-VLAN = 10

If AD group = staff, return Aruba-VLAN = 20 

etc

• 5.  RE: Assigning DHCP Reservations with Enterprise DHCP Server on VLAN Pools

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2014 06:23 PM

As far as i know, according to the hashing algorithm, the device will always be assisned the same vlan (please correct me if I'm wrong).

You can let your device connect to see what vlan they are given, then assign your reservation.

However, if later down the line you add or remove a vlan from the pool, the vlan given to that client may change.