Wireless Access

Contributor I

Associating a non-Aruba AP as work group bridge on Aruba WLAN?

Not sure if WGB is the terminology even in Aruba's dictionary. It is basically a Cisco term. However defining it here:

When an AP is configured in workgroup bridge mode, the unit associates to another access point as a client and provides a network connection for the devices connected to its Ethernet port. For example, if you need to provide wireless connectivity for a group of network printers, you can connect the printers to a hub or to a switch, connect the hub or switch to the access point Ethernet port, and configure the access point as a workgroup bridge. The workgroup bridge associates to an access point on your network.

In Cisco WLAN, both Cisco and non Cisco APs in WGB mode could associate. Similarly can we in Aruba have APs from different vendor and in WGB mode/client mode connect on Aruba WLAN to serve the wired device(s) behind their ethernet port?

Mesh is the option to serve the purpose, but is applicable only via a Aruba Mesh point.

Guru Elite

Re: Connecting a non-Aruba AP as work group bridge on Aruba WLAN?

Contributor I

Thanks Joseph.

My concern is primarily for connecting non-Aruba Wireless client bridge(s) on an Aruba WLAN network.

Is it possible?

Guru Elite

The answer is "it depends".  I have seen some that work and some that do not, but we cannot endorse any specifically.  The two that I mentioned do work and I have tested them.  Maybe others can mention others that work.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks again for the prompt response.

Have you or anyone in this forum had a experience in connnecting a non aruba Wireless client bridge on Aruba WLAN?

What does the Aruba documentation has to say on it?

Cisco does have the documenation for non Cisco WGB support on Cisco WLAN:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01110010.html . Would be great if I gets similar document for Aruba.

Guru Elite

In my experience they generally work.  What is your specific question/issue?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

If the wireless client bridge is just bridging a single wired device to the WLAN and you use MAC Cloning on the bridge, then you're likely fine. If you are trying to bridge multiple wired devices behind the wireless bridge device, then it REALLY depends on how that device handles multiple wired clients, how it manages the MAC and CAM tables ,etc. Additionally on the Aruba controller, for that SSID that the wireless bridge, you will have to disable all MC/BC and raise the max IPv4 per client limit in the firewall to X+1 where X is the number of wired devices and the +1 is the wireless bridge (you obviously cannot do mac cloning with more than one wired device being bridged). 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Contributor I

Thanks Jerrod for clarifying.

I am trying to associate an 'Altai AP' as Wireless Client Bridge on Aruba WLAN on tunneled mode SSID. This bridge is meant to have only one wired device on its ethernet.

The issue I am facing is the Wireless client bridge is not getting an IP address. Tried assigning static IP address to the bridge, when it is authenticated in tunneled mode SSID and yet can't ping it from the controller.

The client entry gets reflected in session-table and not in user-table.

(WLC_0002) (config) #show station-table | include 00:19:be:30:90:c7
00:19:be:30:90:c7            authenticated  00:00:30    No    OAP-0005          TEST-SSID    g-HT   No      TEST-SSID-aaa_prof

(WLC_0002) (config) #show user-table | include 00:19:be:30:90:c7

Can someone share the debugs/captures that I can collect to further analyze and address this specific issue?

Is there a wired device connected and powered up behind the bridge? If not, put a laptop there. Many bridges won't go full active until there is a wired device active on the wired port to pull an IP address. Also, if it's only a single wired device, mac cloning should be enabled (and if you have mac cloning enabled and don't have a wired client active, that is absolutely the behavior I would expect). Also note though that if you do mac cloning (or if the bridge defaults to mac cloning), then you will not be able to access the bridge from anywhere except from the wired client side (you won't be able to reach from the LAN side).

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Contributor I

Thanks again Jerrod for your response.

Is it recommended to provide an static IP for the wired device connected behind the Client bridge? Or the client bridge after assocaiting with the SSID be taking care of fetching an IP for itself and for the device behind it?

In my case, I was having a wired client that was on the wired interface of client bridge assigned with an static IP.

However when I see the client bridge entry on the controller dashboard, though its IP is not reflected, but other graphs like: speed, goodput and retried frames to client are reflected, PFA. Is it possible for a these graphs being reflected for a client even when the client is not even holding an IP?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: