Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Atrium? (Visual RF)

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 12, 2015 09:54 PM

Having trouble finding much info on the method for this...

for an atrium--an area of one or more floors which has been cut out, to allow sightlines between floors--is the idea to "block off" those areas when doing AP placement / planning, by creating a region that goes on top of the floorplan boundary region, and then set its region type to boundary as well?

Like so:

Screen Shot 201.png

• 2.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 01:33 AM

You can make the whole floor an entire region and move or delete the APs that are placed in the Atrium to suit.

• 3.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 13, 2015 10:24 AM

I'm hoping to do auto-planning/placement of APs by using the region feature...

In other words, I don't want to manually drag/drop to position planned APs.

Not sure if that was clear from my first post.

• 4.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 10:31 AM

Yes, that was clear and that was my suggestion.  If you do it right, it would take little effort to remove the access points that are placed there.  If it is tedious, you probablyhave too much density.

Maybe someone else has a better idea to offer.

• 5.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 13, 2015 12:20 PM

OK, just so I'm following you correctly;

1. Select a region where I want to place APs

2. Click on "Properties" in the sidebar

3. Set the region's type to "Planning"

4. Click the number of APs I plan to use for the region

5. VRF will arrange the APs as close to ideal as it can get.

Is that how auto-planning goes?

• 6.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2015 12:36 PM

With regards to #4, you have the option of selecting a number yourself, but that is not a common use case.   You click on Coverage Calculator, and it will calculate the number of APs based on Signal Strength or Association rate in the service level, and it will automatically fill in the number.

coverage-calculator.png

You can even move the sliders or change the requirements to see how it affects your number.  Does that make sense?

• 7.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 13, 2015 01:41 PM

Colin, thank you, yes, makes a lot of sense.

I would want 63 dBM as my service level.

But I'm stuck on the "Max Clients", "Clients per Ap" ... how would I determine those?

"1" seems like an odd figure.

• 8.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 13, 2015 06:40 PM

Hi, Coverage calculator tool is having issues in determining proper number of AP's on floorplan according to the definitions (Max clients, Number of clienst per AP, Signal/Speed). 

We have filed a defect internally. But it is at low priority currently. 

If tool feature is blocking issue for you then Please file a Ticket via Support. 

From my Understanding the tool should be working like this ---

Coverage Calculator ---

In any scenario Max count will be considered out of the calculation we get from Service Levels(Speed/Signal) and Clients Density taking into consideration.

For example. If I select just speed – 1.3Gbps and my AP count came to be 20 ( Depends on how big the region is and also floorplan height, width also taken into consideration here)

Next I go ahead and change Max Clients – 50 and Clients per AP – 5

AP count is calculated as ---  Math.Ceil(1.0* (Total clients/Clients per AP / bands))= 50/5/2(bands)= 5

From above Max count = 20 and Min count = 5 .

This results number of AP’s count for that region/floor = 20 (Always Max number is considered out of Service level and Client density calculation)

Similarly if I select Speed = 24 Mbps (Here AP count will be 1 AP)

Max clients = 50 , Clients per AP = 5 (count = 5)

Result – AP count = 5 (Always Max number is considered out of Service level and Client density calculation)

Thanks,

Suchitra

• 9.  RE: Atrium? (Visual RF)

Posted Nov 17, 2015 09:27 AM

Suchitra,

I don't understand what you are talking about in your first paragraph.

Is there anywhere in the user manual where the coverage calculator is explained?