Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Auto open captive portal

Hi guys, is there a way or a setting to open the captive portal automatically without the need of the end user to browse to a http website? I have seen different behaviors in different networks but i am not sure what is people doing to either force the browser to open automatically after the user connects to the ssid with a captive portal or open a new tab automatically with the captive portal webiste.

Guru Elite

Re: Auto open captive portal

It should happen automatically.  Apple and android try to get a http page from a specific website and when they cannot reach it, the captive portal is opened.  When was your captive portal page created?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Behavior varies greatly by device type, OS version, captive portal services, etc.

Please provide more details about your environment.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

My captive portal is running in clearpass (self registration or weblogin form i have tried both), Windows 8 my OS i have tried with Firefox, Chrome and Internet explorer. It is my lab environment so i am not sure if these browsers are trying to reach a specific webiste in order to automatically open the captive portal. I will run a packet capture to check what is doing in the background each browser

Guru Elite

Windows 10 added an auto browser launch feature when in a captive portal
state. Prior to 10, it's hit or miss unfortunately.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Frequent Contributor II

ricardoraul, I'm dealing with this right now with Apple devices. Not sure if you have any Apple devices on your network, but ever since 6.4.4.10, you need a publicly signed certificate installed on your controller for the Apple Captive Portal Assistant to pop up automatically. 

I have one installed, and am getting the pop up, but logging-in is now a problem. Ive finally got an appt with TAC at 12:30 today. I'll provide updates.

[ Edited ]

I tested on my lab and i got it working, here is why it was not working before (my dns was not responding to that query because it had no internet access) and why it is working now

172.16.1.42 Client

192.168.250.50 DNS server

browser1.png

1. Client send a query to dns server asking for www.msftncsi.com

browser2.png

2. DNS server replies the query

browser3.png

3. Computer tries to download ncsi.txt (it is expecting to see Microsoft NCSI inside that txt) from that address but since it has no internet access it fails

*** attaching this image to show what the txt file looks like***

browser4.png

5. Computer now tries to go to www.msftncsi.com/redirect

6. WLC spoofs the destination IP address and send a http 302 “temporarily moved”

browser5.png

7. Guest now knows that it need to go to the captive portal.

Hi, it is working now, i tested it on my lab, the reason it was failing before was i didn't have internet in my lab so the queries where not replied by my dns server

172.16.1.42 Client
192.168.250.50 DNS serverbrowser1.png

browser2.png

2. DNS server replies the query

browser3.png

3. Computer tries to download ncsi.txt (it is expecting to see Microsoft NCSI inside that txt) from that address but since it has no internet access yet it fails

****attaching this just to show what the txt looks like***

browser4.png

4. Computer now tries to go to www.msftncsi.com/redirect
5. WLC spoofs the destination IP address and send a http 302 “temporarily moved”

browser5.png

6. Guest now knows that it need to go to the captive portal.

It is working now, attached a word document with the packet capture... they reason it was not working before was that i didn't have internet and my dns server didn't know how to response the queries.

172.16.1.42 Client

3. Computer tries to download ncsi.txt (it is expecting to see Microsoft NCSI inside that txt) from that address but since it has no internet access yet it fails

5. WLC spoofs the destination IP address and send a http 302 “temporarily moved”

It is working now, the reason it was not working was i didn't have internet and my lab dns server didn't know how to reply the dns queries

172.16.1.42 Client

browser1.png

browser2.png

browser3.png

***attaching this images to show how the txt file looks like***

browser4.png

browser5.png

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: