Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Automated way to find APs running in power save mode

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Automated way to find APs running in power save mode

Posted Oct 26, 2017 03:31 PM

This is sort of a shot in the dark, but I recently found a handful of AP 225s running in power saving mode due to LLDP being disabled on the POE switch.  We normally have this enabled on  all of our switches but this one did not for some reason.  Now I'm  curious if this is the case in other places.  I was wondering if there is an automated way to return a list of APs running in this mode via Airwave, or a script on the controllers etc? 

To see the specific Operational mode of the AP I used

show ap debug system-status ap-name <my_ap> | begin Power

• 2.  RE: Automated way to find APs running in power save mode
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 05:52 PM

Sure seem like something that should be visibile in the GUI.

I was never able to figure it out. Aruba Air Recorder is probably your best bet. (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/AirRecorder-Tutorial-Part-1/ta-p/157646)

If your Linux skills are sharp you could probably awk/grep your way through the output to get the relevant info.

Also keep in mind that power saving is not a big deal. I believe it only shuts down a single 2.4ghz radio.

You may already be aware, but you can also confirm visually by the solid red power indicator.

• 3.  RE: Automated way to find APs running in power save mode

Posted Oct 26, 2017 09:00 PM

Hi dvaughn2323,

I was able to do this in AirRecorder as noted above. I also used this to locate all of the APs that were operating at only "100Mbps" on their uplink ports. I'm linking to the commands that I used - http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/AP-list-by-port-speed/m-p/252362#M3004 - jgoff recommended carefulness when running that command against every AP with a short delay.