Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Automatic provisioning of APs

Okay, here's what I'd like to do:

At any point in time, once a new AP comes up and uses option 43 to contact the controller, given the MAC address of that AP, the controller issues a bunch of commands to provision it:

config t

provision-ap

read-bootinfo wired-mac <MAC Address>

ap-group <AP Group>

ap-name <AP Name>

reprovision wired-mac <MAC Address>

exit

BUT, I want this to occur whenever the AP is actually turned up - I don't want to sit there on the line ready to push these commands.

I keep thinking a provisioning profile SHOULD be able to do this, but I can't find anything that suggests it can. 

Am I really off base?  There just seems there must be a way to script this via a provisioning profile, an ap system profile or some kind of scripting....

Guru Elite

Re: Automatic provisioning of APs

ap-regroup and ap-rename with the wired mac or the serialnumber option allow you to do this while an AP is offline.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Access-Points/Updating-configuration-of-Inactive-APs/td-p/9137

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

So, that will move an AP to a given group, that's good.   But how do you automate the assigning a name for instance?  What scripting can you use with Aruba OS?

Guru Elite

ap-regroup will change the group

ap-rename will change the name.

Both commands can be issued before an access point comes up as long as you use the wired mac or serialnumber parameter.   they can be cut and pasted from your favorite spreadsheet program

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

But it didn't work......bunko was the name I used, btw......

#ap-rename wired-mac 6c:f3:7f:c3:92:dc bunko
AP with MAC address 6c:f3:7f:c3:92:dc not found.

We are running 6.2 on an Aruba 3600 (master)....btw.....

Guru Elite

Sorry.

The access point would need to have touched the controller once before. I apologize.....

Colin Joseph

[ Edited ]

Any way to add that MAC address into the controller somehow, so that it reads it and performs the command?

Guru Elite

No.

The access point would have just need to have seen the controller once (standard burn-in) for it to be in the database.  You cannot add it ahead of time, unfortunately :(

Colin Joseph

So, you can't do an import whitelist?

What about the local-userdb-ap?  I can't add APs that way?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: