Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 09, 2014 02:26 PM

Hello all,

At a few remote sites, I have to bridge APs and every once in a while, these APs drop clients.  All APs list in the log below (with username is its mac-address) drop all clients until reboot.  My radius server are CPPM 6.2.6, the controllers are 7220, AOS 6.2.1.3, APs are 105 and terminated to the controller over L3.  Only bridging APs are problem, all other APs on the same controller that are not bridging work fine.

The errors in the log are:

(WC01) #show log user 5

May 9 09:12:40 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=24:de:c6:c2:5f:12; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP
    May 9 09:13:02 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=6c:f3:7f:c6:51:92; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP
    May 9 09:13:07 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=00:24:6c:cb:1f:5e; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP
    May 9 09:13:07 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=00:24:6c:cb:1f:f2; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP
    May 9 09:13:07 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=00:24:6c:c8:ef:69; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 09, 2014 02:57 PM

Not sure if we are using any one of the below attribute given below from CPPM to controller.

(Aruba) #show aaa radius-attributes | include Group

Server-Group 313 String
    Aruba-AP-Group 10 String Aruba 14823
    AP-Group 314 String
    Group 1005 String

You could also enable packet-capture udp 1812 on the controller and take pcap on cppm at the same time duing failure to look at the radius packets to understand the communication. Also do we see radius reject from show auth-tracebuf ? Please confirm

Sriram

• 3.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 09, 2014 03:15 PM

Sriram,  

I don’t see any radius dropping errors in logs:

(WC01) #show auth-tracebuf | include 24:de:c6:c2:5f:12
    (WC01) #show auth-tracebuf | include 6c:f3:7f:c6:51:92

(WC01) #show log errorlog all | include 24:de:c6:c2:5f:12
    (WC01) #show log errorlog all | include 6c:f3:7f:c6:51:92

The Radius Attribute:

(WC01) #show aaa radius-attributes | include Group
    Aruba-AirGroup-Shared-User      25     String       Aruba      14823
    Tunnel-Private-Group-Id         81     String
    Aruba-AP-Group                  10     String       Aruba      14823
    AP-Group                        314    String
    Aruba-AirGroup-User-Name        24     String       Aruba      14823
    Aruba-AirGroup-Shared-Role      26     String       Aruba      14823
    Server-Group                    313    String
    Group-Name                      1030   String
    Group                           1005   String
    Aruba-AirGroup-Device-Type      27     Integer      Aruba      14823

The problem is random, I'll see if I can simulate the problem locally and capture the packet.

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 09, 2014 03:20 PM

Acknowledged. You can also enable user-debug to collect more info for client behavior.

1.from config mode, logging level debugging user-debug <mac address of the ap>

2. packet-capture udp 1812

show log user-debug all | include <client mac address>

Sriram

• 5.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 10, 2014 10:17 AM

Now I knnow what I am looking for so I created a syslog alert to e-mail me the message, I found in the last 12 hours, 30 APs came up with "AP-Group is not present in RAdius server".  All errors were from one 7220 controller, different from the other controller.  All APs are campus in tunnel mode.

So the problem is random, it can happen to any controllers.  Unlike I said before, the problem is not just with bridge-ap but also with APs in tunnel mode.  It seems like AP drops clients when it is in bridge mode.

So, what is CPPM radius doing with the AP-group, and mac-address username?  I do have one service that requires MAC-AUTH. 

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2014 10:39 AM

ngutri,

I would open up a case with support.  There are a number of things that could be happening here, but we simply do not have enough information to make an educated guess. 

• 7.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 10, 2014 11:19 AM

Thanks Colin.  I will open the case, but I want to narrow down the problem.

I need a favor from Community.  Can you go to your controller and do:

(WC01) #show log user all | include AP-Group

If you have a log like the one below, please include if you are using CPPM (and its version), or other (like NPS) for your radius.  I’d like to narrow this issue down to if the problem with controller or CPPM

May 10 06:37:57 :522048:  <WARN> |authmgr|  AP-Group is not present in the Radius server for username=24:de:c6:c2:5e:a8; AP will take the ap-group as provisioned in the AP

Thanks to all !

• 8.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2014 11:26 AM

ngutri,

That message would be there if you are authenticating the RAP whitelist against an external radius server.  It has nothing to do specifically with a client issue.  It indicates a RAP coming up and being authenticated against a radius server, but the ap-group not being sent back by the radius server.  This of course indicates another possible issue that you have...

EDIT:

The specific message a bug that was seen in 6.2.0.0, but it is cosmetic and it should be fixed in 6.2.1.1 and above.

• 9.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 12, 2014 09:31 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

ngutri,

That message would be there if you are authenticating the RAP whitelist against an external radius server.  It has nothing to do specifically with a client issue.  It indicates a RAP coming up and being authenticated against a radius server, but the ap-group not being sent back by the radius server.  This of course indicates another possible issue that you have...

EDIT:

The specific message a bug that was seen in 6.2.0.0, but it is cosmetic and it should be fixed in 6.2.1.1 and above.

Colin,

What trigger the AP-Group bug?  Because it seems correlate to my Bridge clients issue.  When this message generates, the client, according to AirWave, has 0.0.0.0 ip address.  

Is the version 6.2.0.0 you metion for the AOS or CPPM?  Both my AOS and CPPM already above 6.2.11, but still seeing this message.

Thanks,

• 10.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2014 10:23 AM

ngutri,

There is probably more than that message with regards to your connectivity issue.  Please open a support case in parallel.

• 11.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients

Posted May 15, 2014 12:25 PM

Colin,

I think you are correct, the error message is cosmetic.  Today I have one user dropped out, an no AP-Group error message.  The user dropped out have this log:

May 15 09:58:08  authmgr[3473]: <132030> <ERRS> |authmgr|  Dropping EAPOL packet sent by Station 60:67:20:xx:yy:zz 24:de:c6:a5:e3:d9

My radius authentication is CPPM, EAP-TLS

I opened case, but have not heard from TAC.

• 12.  RE: BRIDGE-AP Drop Clients
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 04, 2014 09:35 PM

Since upgrading AOS to 6.3.1.8 in July, I have not sees any clients drop out.