Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  BW contract

Posted Aug 25, 2015 10:53 PM

Hey guys,

i have a guest ssid spread into 2 buildings, what i want to ask is ..i want the guests in building A to have a specific bandwidth and the guests in building B to have whatever bandwidth they can get,

What i mean is that the guests in building A are VIPs. How do i go about doing that, i dont want it per user..more like whoever goes into that building and connect to the APs in that building should get a specific BW.

Thanks.

D.Farah

• 2.  RE: BW contract

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 10:55 PM

Before you configure something complicated:

How much internet bandwidth do you have available for guests?

• 3.  RE: BW contract

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 10:55 PM

You would do a per AP-group bandwidth contract.

per-ap-group-bw.JPG

• 4.  RE: BW contract

Posted Aug 25, 2015 11:09 PM

Hi,

So i will have to create 2 different AP-Groups for both buildings and just assign the specific BW contract for the VIP building AP-Group...right?, as i have 40mbps link.

Thanks,

• 5.  RE: BW contract

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 11:18 PM

I asked about the bandwidth, because people first start by putting bandwidth contracts on Guests, but it ends up slowing somebody down and they don't like it.  If the wifi is designed properly, nobody should have problems on that 40mb link.  If the wifi is designed poorly, it does not matter what bandwidth contract you put on it, everyone is going to have a bad experience.

Bandwidth contracts should be used when there is very limited bandwidth.

• 6.  RE: BW contract

Posted Aug 25, 2015 11:25 PM

Thanks Joseph,

i agree, but if i want to do it per ap-group..i would create 2 ap-groups for the 2 buildings and specify a certian BW for one ap-group over the other.

Just want to make sure this is the right way to approach this issue.

Thanks,

• 7.  RE: BW contract
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 25, 2015 11:40 PM

Bandwidth contracts only LIMIT bandwidth they do not create bandwidth or improve priority of traffic.  To do what you want with bandwidth contracts, you would have to figure out a way to:

- Identify the VIPs

- Limit everyone else

*If your VIPs login, you can figure out a way to assign them a role that has no bandwidth contract.  Everyone else, you can limit their bandwidth by applying a bandwidth contract to their role.

In the other building, you can make a different AAA and Captive Portal profile where everyone besides the VIPs get a different bandwidth restriction than the first building.  

*If you are using a preshared key network, there is almost no way to differentiate between VIPs and others, unless you enter and maintain a long mac address database and do mac authentication.  After you do all of that and configure it properly, if the wifi is bad, your VIPs will still have a bad experience, because bad wifi does not differentiate between VIPs and regular people; it happens to everyone unless you take steps to make it good.