Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Backup licensing server

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Backup licensing server

Posted Apr 29, 2014 06:57 AM

In a Centralized licensing model where I have a master and backup licensing server, does the backup licensing server need any licenses installed on it ?

For example, if my master license server has 512 licenses, and my backup license server has 0, when my master fails, will those 512 be available on the backup license server ?

Thanks,

Lee

• 2.  RE: Backup licensing server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2014 06:57 AM

yes

• 3.  RE: Backup licensing server

Posted Apr 29, 2014 08:20 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

The reason for my question is that I'm seeing something strange on my backup license server.

I have a master license server with 12 licenses on, and 0 on my backup.   I also have 1 license client controller configured as a Master controller.

The license client controller has 0 licenses installed and 2 AP's connected.

When both my license controllers are up, I see the master license server show 2 licenses in use and 10 remaining.

If I shut down my master license controller, the backup license controller shows 2 licenses in use and 0 remaining.  I would have expected it to show 10 remaining.

Also, on my license client controller,  (whilst the master license controller is down), it's license table shows Server Lic = 12, Used Lic. = 2, remaining Lic. = 12

Is what I'm seeing correct or is there something wrong in my configuration ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Backup licensing server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2014 08:22 AM
    Are any licenses built-in to the master? You can purchase a 650 with 8 licenses built in... Those built in licenses are not added to the pool.

• 5.  RE: Backup licensing server

Posted Apr 29, 2014 08:23 AM

Hi,

None of the controllers have built-in licenses,  they are all 3200XM's.  The licenses were added manually by myself.

Also, I just edited my previous post after you responded, to add addtional info as to what I'm seeing on my license client table.  Would appreciate your thoughts on that as well

Cheers