Wireless Access

MVP

Band Steering + Client Match Disruptive?

I'm getting some complaints of clients getting disconnected from wifi.  In every case, I'm seeing a client match event, with band steering being the reason.  It seems that going from 2.4GHz to 5GHz is disruptive to my clients.  Anyone else notice this?

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
MVP

Re: Band Steering + Client Match Disruptive?

I have not personally seen this.

Very interersting as I have client match enabled as well.

What model AP and firmware?
Are they roaming between APs when the band-steering happens? That's a long shot question..
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
MVP

225's & 6.4.

The from/to AP is the same in the client match message so I assume it's safe to say it isn't a client roam.

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Super Contributor I

It can be.  The question is whether not having it is equally disruptive -- if it is off, do all your clients start getting disconnects or performance problems due to congestion on the g band?  This is what you have to answer and the answer will be particular to your network conditions, and may have to be reassessed from time to time as client behavior changes.

Also, you can tune it.  You may want to check out this here as it will suggest parameters for certain settings:

https://ase.arubanetworks.com/solutions/id/75

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

thecompnerd,

If you could let us know what OS and network card of client and the output of "show ap association client-mac <mac of client>" that would be helpful.

If your clientmatch settings were changed, and/or the difference in power between the AP on the 2.4ghz vs. the 5ghz is significant enough, that could play a factor.  We probably need to understand how everything is configured to have a chance to explain what could be going on.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Did this get resolved?  I am seeing the same thing at my location.  We have ap105s and ap65s  We have multiple dorms and it is happening in all of them.

MVP

Re: Band Steering Client Match Disruptive?

No resolution, just workaround. I'm turning off 2.4ghz for this SSID so I
don't have to deal with it.
Occasional Contributor II

How long ago did you do this and were there any other issues that came up because you shut it down?

MVP

Doing it this weekend.

I have other networks that are 5ghz only and it's not a problem for us
because we've gotten rid of all 2.4 only devices. Not everyone has this
luxury but thankfully its not a problem for us.

Do your homework and find out if you have any 2.4 only devices. If you only
have a few, maybe you can justify turning it off and upgrading those
devices.
MVP

it is your choise but you i believe have totally different environment then the OP, you have different APs , perhaps different OS version and seeing the term dorms probably no control over your clients.

start a new thread will full info and perhaps someone here can provide some advise on what to try in your specific situation. else you can also always try TAC.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: