Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Band Steering

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Band Steering

Posted Jan 07, 2012 12:40 PM

Do you guys always got this on?

It looks like a good idea having it on... but by default its not on...

what would be bad part if i got always this on?

Let suppose you got all dual bands APS....

Any commends? :)

• 2.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2012 12:47 PM

I have it on across my campus.

The only downside that I have seen is that in rare circumstances you may get a user who is on the edge of 5Ghz coverage, gets steered over to 5Ghz, even though they would get a much better rate on 2.4Ghz. This can be avoided by disabling the lower data rates on 5Ghz (I know I should probably be using the local probe response setting instead).

• 3.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 07, 2012 12:53 PM

Yeah well im reading my aruba training book

And well to activate it well i just have to put the checkbox on band stearing but it also says the badn steeering freature will not work unless the you use the enable local probe reponse parameter in the wireless lan ssid profile for the ssid that requires band stearing

In the lab guide it just tell you to enable the band steering checkbox but doesnt says anything about this local probe reponse...

Now do you know how to configure correctly this local probe response value? to configure this correctly?

or i just might do like you did but as you said you even know yourself you should not do that :)

Just to be clear this value is this one Local Probe Request Threshold? on the SSID profile? its set to 0 db by default... or its another one?

• 4.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2012 12:59 PM

I believe this is what is meant by the "enable local probe response," as I was just researching the same topic. The local probe response is enabled as long as "Disable probe response" is unchecked. I know it's kind of backwards, the way that they put it.

What I meant about the local probe response settings instead of disabling data rates reefers to Colin's recommendations on this thread (as well as other threads where the topic has come up): http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/802-11n-Basics-RF-Design-and/Turning-off-slow-data-rates-incompatible-kit/m-p/21960

• 5.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:03 PM

@zjennings wrote:

I believe this is what is meant by the "enable local probe response," as I was just researching the same topic. The local probe response is enabled as long as "Disable probe response" is unchecked. I know it's kind of backwards, the way that they put it.

What I meant about the local probe response settings instead of disabling data rates reefers to Colin's recommendations on this thread (as well as other threads where the topic has come up): http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/802-11n-Basics-RF-Design-and/Turning-off-slow-data-rates-incompatible-kit/m-p/21960

Sorry, I meant "Deny-broadcast probes" not Disable probe response.

• 6.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:09 PM

Looking at the CRG, apparently it is a setting under the SSID, though it is not an option in the GUI.

local-probe-response

Enable or disable local probe response on the AP. If this option is enabled, the AP is responsible for sending 802.11 probe responses to wireless clients’ probe requests. If this option is disabled, then the controller sends the 802.11 probe responses. — Default is 'enabled'

• 7.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:14 PM

Hello again...

Thanks for the link now i know how to use it...

i also find a table that can be useful:

> 40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightening fast.

25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.

15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.

10dB - 15dB SNR = Very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.

5dB to 10dB SNR = No signal; not associated; no go.

Source

http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/tutorials/define_SNR_values.html

Now what i see that before setting a value here local-probe-request-threshold i think you should be sure that you getting really good signal everywhere you need to connnect because as far i understand let say you got a place in which you need to connect but the signal there its low but you still can connnect and do some browsing... if you configure this value even if you need to connect there it will prevent the client to connect.

This seems useful when you got all the campus with really good signal and you dont want the client to connect to an AP with low signal... iam right or wrong here? just trying to undesrtand to use it properly...

Another question... where do you find this "Disable probe response" i cant find it.... i just find the enable local probe response,  i just see "disable probe retry"

• 8.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:18 PM

Okay i see deny broadcast probe... but its unchecked by default so i guess there is no issue:)

• 9.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:30 PM

@NightShade1 wrote:

Okay i see deny broadcast probe... but its unchecked by default so i guess there is no issue:)

the "local-probe-response" checkbox in the documentation has been deprecated and no longer shows up in the GUI.  It is not related to the local probe response threshold parameter.  Just enabling Band Steering will work just fine for clients.  deny-broadcast-probe-request is also not related to this and should be left alone.

• 10.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 07, 2012 01:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification cjoseph

• 11.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 28, 2013 11:01 AM

I am very interested in adjustimg the Local Probe Request Threshold (currently disabled, or '0') - it seems this is more ekegant than dropping the lower data rates -  but CLI is saying that local-probe-response must be enabled.

(master_controller) (config) #wlan ssid-profile "UMASS-SECURE1X-broadcasted"
       (master_controller) (SSID Profile "UMASS-SECURE1X-broadcasted") #local-probe-req-thresh ?
       <local-probe-req-thre.. The SNR threshold below which incoming probe
                               requests will get ignored (only used if
                               local-probe-response is also enabled)

A few questions:

1.  If local-probe-response is deprecated (I can't enter it as a command in cli) will entering a threshold value do anything?

2.  ould someone verify that  'deny-broadcast-probe-request' is now called (is the the same as) 'deny-bcast' in 6.1.3.2? The GUI refers to it as "Deny_Broadcast Probes"

3.  On both of our our broadcasted SSIDs (.1x and "open") Deny_Broadcast Probes is checked. Should we uncheck this as a general best practice?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

• 12.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2013 11:06 AM

1. local-probe-response is always enabled

2.  It is the same, and its function is to not answer when a clients probes for "any".  It is one method of "hiding" an SSID.

3.  Denying broadcasts is a way of Hiding an SSID, but it can also be used to reduce management traffic overhead.  If it is working because your users configure that SSID manually you can leave it checked.  Some users who just attempt to "see" the SSID without configuring it, will not be able to "see" it to connect to it.  Users who configure it, will be allowed to attach.

• 13.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Jan 28, 2013 11:31 AM

Thanks Colin. I will leave the deny-bcast enabled. Clients by and large are finding our open ssid and we have a config tool to get them set up on the .1x ssid.

Does this mean that I could effectively change the 'local-probe-req-thresh' from a zero value to say, something like 20-25 dB, and this will be honored?

• 14.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2013 11:35 AM

Yes.  We normally don't see a real effect until we try 30 and above.  20 is borderline.  Your mileage may vary.

• 15.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2012 09:16 AM

I wouldn't enable band steering on VoIP WLANs. There is usually enough airtime for all calls and you have less roaming

• 16.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 09, 2012 09:17 AM

@samuel.perez wrote:

I wouldn't enable band steering on VoIP WLANs. There is usually enough airtime for all calls and you have less roaming

Samuel,

You are right.  Most likely you have your VOIP handsets only connecting to one band, anyway.

• 17.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Feb 08, 2012 08:49 PM

cjoseph or anyone i got an interrogant

I got APs with dual bands but other with single band by all this campus.

Now i supposing by default for example 105 aps are using BOTH bands at the same time i mean one using 2.4Ghz and theother on the 5Ghz band im correct here?

Now if im correct if i enable band steering well clients that got a capable card will prefer connecting to the 5 ghz band and the other just capable of b/g will connect to the 2.4Ghz band of course if i got band steering on

Now what will happen with single band AP? it wont have any issue if i enable band steering? with which band he will work with? i mean on the configuration i selected all bands... but by default i guess he works on 2.4ghz band right?

Let say its like that if i enable band steering what will happen with that single band AP? it will not apply the band steering setting to it? i mean it will just apply it to dual band APs?

Can i safetly enable band steering  in enviroments in which i got single and dual band aps?

i hope someone can asnwer so i can clearly undesrtand

Cheers and thanks

• 18.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2012 02:20 AM

@NightShade1 wrote:

cjoseph or anyone i got an interrogant

I got APs with dual bands but other with single band by all this campus.

Now i supposing by default for example 105 aps are using BOTH bands at the same time i mean one using 2.4Ghz and theother on the 5Ghz band im correct here?

Now if im correct if i enable band steering well clients that got a capable card will prefer connecting to the 5 ghz band and the other just capable of b/g will connect to the 2.4Ghz band of course if i got band steering on

Now what will happen with single band AP? it wont have any issue if i enable band steering? with which band he will work with? i mean on the configuration i selected all bands... but by default i guess he works on 2.4ghz band right?

Let say its like that if i enable band steering what will happen with that single band AP? it will not apply the band steering setting to it? i mean it will just apply it to dual band APs?

Can i safetly enable band steering  in enviroments in which i got single and dual band aps?

i hope someone can asnwer so i can clearly undesrtand

Cheers and thanks

Single Band APs do not participate in band steering, period.

• 19.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Feb 09, 2012 08:09 AM

so for what you told me i can safely turn on band steering and there will be no issue even if i got some APs of single band?

Second question is if i got voip over wireless for what you said up i should turn this off

Would it be okay to turn on then the spectrum load balancer? if i got  wireless VOIP

• 20.  RE: Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2012 08:15 AM

@NightShade1 wrote:

so for what you told me i can safely turn on band steering and there will be no issue even if i got some APs of single band?

Second question is if i got voip over wireless for what you said up i should turn this off

Would it be okay to turn on then the spectrum load balancer? if i got  wireless VOIP

There should be no issue, but try not to mix and match single and dual band APs in the same area.

Most VOIP wireless phones are only deployed in a single band at a time, so you should not have to worry about this.

Spectrum Load Balancing is off and you should leave it there unless advised by TAC.

• 21.  RE: Band Steering

Posted Feb 09, 2012 08:22 AM

okay

but i just realize that if i turn that on with voip phones they might get trouble with the phone call as the wirelss phone will try to connect to an ap that maybe is full and it will be denyed to connect for 2 or 3 times maybe that will result while he can connect to a valid ap in a phone disconnect or he will hear the other person his voice cut if you know what i mean while the phone is roaming over aps...

Cjoseph thank you very much! kudos!