Wireless Access

MVP

Band Steering

Do you guys always got this on?

It looks like a good idea having it on... but by default its not on...

what would be bad part if i got always this on?

Let suppose you got all dual bands APS....

Any commends? :)

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

Re: Band Steering

I have it on across my campus.

The only downside that I have seen is that in rare circumstances you may get a user who is on the edge of 5Ghz coverage, gets steered over to 5Ghz, even though they would get a much better rate on 2.4Ghz. This can be avoided by disabling the lower data rates on 5Ghz (I know I should probably be using the local probe response setting instead).

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
MVP

[ Edited ]

Yeah well im reading my aruba training book

And well to activate it well i just have to put the checkbox on band stearing but it also says the badn steeering freature will not work unless the you use the enable local probe reponse parameter in the wireless lan ssid profile for the ssid that requires band stearing

In the lab guide it just tell you to enable the band steering checkbox but doesnt says anything about this local probe reponse...

Now do you know how to configure correctly this local probe response value? to configure this correctly?

or i just might do like you did but as you said you even know yourself you should not do that :)

Just to be clear this value is this one Local Probe Request Threshold? on the SSID profile? its set to 0 db by default... or its another one?

Alternetworks Corp
Aruba Employee

I believe this is what is meant by the "enable local probe response," as I was just researching the same topic. The local probe response is enabled as long as "Disable probe response" is unchecked. I know it's kind of backwards, the way that they put it.

What I meant about the local probe response settings instead of disabling data rates reefers to Colin's recommendations on this thread (as well as other threads where the topic has come up): http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/802-11n-Basics-RF-Design-and/Turning-off-slow-data-rates-incompatible-kit/m-p/21960

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

zjennings wrote:

I believe this is what is meant by the "enable local probe response," as I was just researching the same topic. The local probe response is enabled as long as "Disable probe response" is unchecked. I know it's kind of backwards, the way that they put it.

What I meant about the local probe response settings instead of disabling data rates reefers to Colin's recommendations on this thread (as well as other threads where the topic has come up): http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/802-11n-Basics-RF-Design-and/Turning-off-slow-data-rates-incompatible-kit/m-p/21960

Sorry, I meant "Deny-broadcast probes" not Disable probe response.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba Employee

Looking at the CRG, apparently it is a setting under the SSID, though it is not an option in the GUI.

local-probe-response

Enable or disable local probe response on the AP. If this option is enabled, the AP is responsible for sending 802.11 probe responses to wireless clients’ probe requests. If this option is disabled, then the controller sends the 802.11 probe responses. — Default is 'enabled'

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
MVP

[ Edited ]

Hello again...

Thanks for the link now i know how to use it...

i also find a table that can be useful:

> 40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightening fast.

25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.

15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.

10dB - 15dB SNR = Very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.

5dB to 10dB SNR = No signal; not associated; no go.

Source

http://www.wireless-nets.com/resources/tutorials/define_SNR_values.html

Now what i see that before setting a value here local-probe-request-threshold i think you should be sure that you getting really good signal everywhere you need to connnect because as far i understand let say you got a place in which you need to connect but the signal there its low but you still can connnect and do some browsing... if you configure this value even if you need to connect there it will prevent the client to connect.

This seems useful when you got all the campus with really good signal and you dont want the client to connect to an AP with low signal... iam right or wrong here? just trying to undesrtand to use it properly...

Another question... where do you find this "Disable probe response" i cant find it.... i just find the enable local probe response,  i just see "disable probe retry"

Alternetworks Corp
MVP

Okay i see deny broadcast probe... but its unchecked by default so i guess there is no issue:)

Alternetworks Corp
Guru Elite

NightShade1 wrote:

Okay i see deny broadcast probe... but its unchecked by default so i guess there is no issue:)

the "local-probe-response" checkbox in the documentation has been deprecated and no longer shows up in the GUI.  It is not related to the local probe response threshold parameter.  Just enabling Band Steering will work just fine for clients.  deny-broadcast-probe-request is also not related to this and should be left alone.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Thanks for the clarification cjoseph

Alternetworks Corp
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: